huttarl

east/west wrapping - 180th meridian

Discussion created by huttarl on Jun 25, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 25, 2010 by lordcasb
Hi. We're using ArcGIS 9.3.1 and JS API.

Our map application covers the globe and includes data on islands in the Pacific around the 180th meridian.

We recently had a user write in, unable to find an island because she was looking on the east end of the map, and the island was a little further east, beyond the edge of the map. To actually find it she should have gone to the west end of the map, but she didn't realize that. The edge of the map is not very obvious... it just appears as an area of white.

So my questions are twofold...

1) Does ESRI have plans to support panning seamlessly across the 180th parallel, or in other words panning from the east edge to the west edge of a map, in the JS API (or in an ArcGIS Server map service)?
I see that Google maps supports this... the 180th meridian is just east of Fiji but you can pan across it:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Wallis+and+Futuna&sll=32.660753,-96.921502&sspn=0.014614,0.02841&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Wallis+and+Futuna&ll=-18.281518,179.055176&spn=8.432798,14.545898&t=h&z=7

2) If not, I would like to be able to make the edge of the map more obvious. E.g. instead of showing blank (white) where the map is not, I'd like to put a special tile or graphic that looks like a double ruled line. Is there a way to customize the JS API to display something at the edge of the map area? In addition to the double-ruled line, I'd like to display a message beyond the edge like "click here to jump to the other end of the map". (I think the click-to-jump function would be easy enough for me to implement.)

Outcomes