johnsonj

Kriging interpolation -- Surfer vs. ArcGIS

Discussion created by johnsonj on Aug 2, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 28, 2013 by EKrause-esristaff
I have a number of point datasets that were interpolated to rasters years ago using Surfer (v8) with the default kriging interpolation.  I would like to replicate this process in ArcGIS Spatial Analyst and get the same result.  (I have my doubts that this acceptance of the defaults was the best way to model the data, however it would be of value to show my co-workers that ArcGIS can produce the same results as Surfer before we start examining alternate semivariograms.)
Unfortunately, the Surfer parameters are proving tricky to duplicate in ArcGIS.  In Surfer, the process used the following parameters:
Variogram Model = Linear
Variogram Slope=1
Anisotropy Ratio = 1
Anisotropy Angle=0
Kriging Type = "Point" (as opposed to "block")
Drift Type = None (which I interpret to mean normal kriging in ArcGIS, not universal)
Search Parameters=No Search(use all of the data)

Can anyone "translate" these Surfer kriging parameters into their equivalents in the Spatial Analyst Interpolation, Kriging tool?
In particular, the ArcGIS version of ordinary linear semivariogram kriging expects a  lag size and has entries for Major range, partial sill and nugget.  It also has no obvious "use all data" option.

Thanks,
Jay

Outcomes