MBramer-esristaff

GEOMETRY tag

Discussion created by MBramer-esristaff Employee on Aug 1, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 by relliott-esristaff
Hi,

Sounds a little silly, but what exactly does assigning the GEOMETRY tag to a field do?

Here's why I ask:

I have two GE definitions defined as such:

MSG1:

NameTypeCardinalityTags
TrackIDString1TRACK_ID
GeometryGeometry1GEOMETRY
DATETIMEDate1TIME_START
LATString1Y
LONString1X
ALTString1

MSG2:

NameTypeCardinalityTags
TrackIDString1TRACK_ID
DATEString1
TIMEString1
LATString1Y
LONString1X
ALTString1
PITCHString1
ROLLString1
YAWString1
DateTimeDate1TIME_END,TIME_START
GEOM1

Note that MSG1 has the GEOMETRY tag assigned to the Geometry field but MSG2 does not have the GEOMETRY tag assigned to the GEOM field.

I receive messages of both of these types on one TCP/Text input. I send all messages to one file via a .csv file output. In this log file, all MSG1 messages appear to be messages as they came in on the wire, with the geometry as "x,y,z", which is how I know the feed comes in. All MSG2 messages had the geometries converted to JSON, i.e. "{""x"":99.99, ""y"":99.99, ""z"":0.0, ""spatialReference"":{""wkid"":4326}}"

Why?

When I assigned the GEOMETRY tag to MSG2's GEOM field, all MSG2 messages then had the geometry values as "x,y,z"

Why?

The documentation makes it sound like tags are just used for making your life easier by referring to a tag and not individual names for fields that serve the same function, by may differ in name between GE definitions. But obviously, something more is going on here.

I discovered this through investigating why feature service outputs (Add a feature) were failing for MSG2 when I didn't have the GEOMETRY tag assigned to GEOM (JSON geometries). When I added the GEOMETRY tag, my add feature output worked.  This itself isn't surprising, as I'm guessing the GEOMETRY tag helps with GEP talking to ArcGIS Server for feature additions via feature services.  But why the conversion to JSON if I do not have the GEOMETRY tag assigned?

What is going on behind the scenes for the GEOMETRY tag? What is it used for? Are there any other functionality tidbits for the GEOMETRY tag? How about any of the other out-of-box tags like TRACK_ID, TIME_END, and TIME_START?

Thanks!

Outcomes