z-factor in slope tool

07-30-2013 01:22 PM
DanielBigelow1
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to run the slope tool for an elevation raster that covers Sonoma and Napa counties in CA. I'd like to figure out the appropriate value to use for the z-factor. My elevation is measured in meters, and the coordinate system for the DEM is in degrees. The latitude in this area ranges from 38 to 39 degrees. Using the midpoint, 38.5, combined with the information on this Arc help page: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//009z000000vm000000, I have determined that the appropriate z-factor is .0000115075. I did this using a simple linear interpolation for the 30- and 40-degree values referenced in the table contained in the link.

Does this seem like a sound way to determine the appropriate z-factor? If not, could anyone suggest an alternative?

Thanks,

Dan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
I did this using a simple linear interpolation for the 30- and 40-degree values referenced in the table contained in the link.

Does this seem like a sound way to determine the appropriate z-factor? If not, could anyone suggest an alternative?

No, it's not a linear relationship, but it's not that much of an issue as long as the z factor is roughly correct.

To calculate it properly:

z=1/(111320*COS(latitude*pi/180))
z=0.00001148 where latitude = 38.5

In Excel you can use the following formulas:
=1/(111320*COS(38.5*PI()/180))

or
=1/(111320*COS(RADIANS(38.5)))

See this page for further info.
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
Why not just project the data into UTM or something.
0 Kudos
DanielBigelow1
New Contributor
Thank you both. Very helpful responses.
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
Thank you both. Very helpful responses.

Then you should vote up the answers (click the ^ above the 0 to the right of the answers). If one of them answered your question completely, you can even mark it as such by clicking the check mark/tick to the right of the answer.
0 Kudos