Connect ArcGIS for Server Workgroup to ArcSDE Enterprise?

07-30-2013 12:59 AM
MarkusSchenardi
Occasional Contributor
I have an ArcGIS for Server Standard Workgroup and one Standard Enterprise.
I set up ArcSDE Databases with the enterprise license on a SQL Server.

Question: Is it allowed (and possible) to connect my Workgroup Server to the Enterprise SDE Databases to create Mapservices using the data stored in the Enterprise ArcSDE?
Markus Schenardi
Laixo AG - Zürich - Switzerland
Member of the Esri Partner Network
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Hi,

I'm double checking, but I'm pretty sure that this would be a problem based on the license agreement.

However, while we wait for that answer...I'm curious why you would want to do that.  I mean, if you have the enterprise server licence, why wouldn't you publish to the enterprise server?
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
The problem is that if you connect to the Enterprise SDE Databases you are transforming your ArcGIS for Server Workgroup in ArcGIS for Server Enterprise (capacity level) so you should have 2 ArcGIS for Server Enterprise Standard. However I advise you ask your partner Esri for details on licensing.
see http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-server-functionality-matrix.pdf
0 Kudos
MarkusSchenardi
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I'm double checking, but I'm pretty sure that this would be a problem based on the license agreement.

However, while we wait for that answer...I'm curious why you would want to do that.  I mean, if you have the enterprise server licence, why wouldn't you publish to the enterprise server?

The reason is that a customer wants to build a second AGS environment in the DMZ with smaller capacity (2 cores would be enough). But he prefers to connect to the intranet database licensed with AGS Enterprise.
Markus Schenardi
Laixo AG - Zürich - Switzerland
Member of the Esri Partner Network
0 Kudos