Help: Mapping Coastline Changes Resulting from Rising Sea Levels

07-24-2013 12:54 AM
ChrisRandall
New Contributor
I'm completely new to ArcGIS. I can see how powerful a tool it is, though I'm not from a technical background. I'm hoping to map what the world's coastlines would look like after a global rise in sea levels of 20m, 40m, 60m and 80m. Wildly speculative I know but this is research for a book. Any help received will be duly acknowledged.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndyOmmen
Esri Contributor
Hi Chris,

I would try the running the Multiple Ring Buffer geoprocessing tool on your coastline feature and see if the output buffer polygon satisfies what you are looking for. This tool allows you to input multiple buffer values in a unit of measure that you define (e.g. 20m, 40m 80m, etc.) The buffer polygon will cover both the seaward and landward sides of the coastline feature and I'm pretty sure you would only want to see the buffer polygon around the landward side to show the sea level rise. However, if you have a separate feature layer for the sea level you could overlay it so the seaward side of the buffer polygon is covered, or you can use the editing tools to split the buffer polygons and remove the portion you don't need.

To start, I would open the help and perform a search on "Multiple Ring Buffer" and read up on the tool. Before running the tool, select only one coastline feature and see if the output buffer polygon is correct. I hope this helps.

Andy
0 Kudos
ChrisRandall
New Contributor
Hi Andy

Thanks so much for the comprehensive reply. Unfortunately I have no grasp of this yet: 'Multiple Ring Buffer geoprocessing tool on your coastline feature and see if the output buffer polygon satisfies what you are looking for. '

As you suggest, I will try this first to see if it is within my technical limitations:

'To start, I would open the help and perform a search on "Multiple Ring Buffer" and read up on the tool. Before running the tool, select only one coastline feature and see if the output buffer polygon is correct.'

Appreciate you coming back so quickly on this. May need to quiz you on some pointers.

Thanks!

Chris
0 Kudos
MelodyOvard
New Contributor
Hello Chris
I know you posted this a while ago.  If it's not to late you should consider downloading DEMs (digital elevation models) and creating contour line to get your models.  You should be able to able to download DEMs from the USGS and other similar sites.
0 Kudos