Bug? import geofences from layer with numeric field for name

07-22-2013 10:55 AM
MarkBramer
Occasional Contributor II
I can't import geofences from a layer where the field I'm using for "Name:" is of numeric type.  The layer is in SQL Server, and it's official type (per SQL Server Management Studio) is "smallint, null".  While I do think it will usually be the case that strings will be used as geofence names, I don't see any reason why GEP should not allow numeric fields to hold name values for geofences.

Is this a bug?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Mark "?

There was a design assumption that the "name" used to uniquely identify GeoFences imported in to GeoEvent Processor would be a string. However, as the GEP Manager allows you to select fields which are not string values and then throws a java.lang.RuntimeException when it"?s discovered that the specified field contains a numeric value "? I"?ve logged this as a bug.

Regards "?
RJ
0 Kudos
RomanChueh
New Contributor III

Hi RJ,

I am having same problem with 10.4.1.  I can import the Geofences from a service with the Name field set to a numeric field, but GEP would throws the following error.  And, I see the same error whenever Geofence Synchronization occurs, too.

"An unexpected error has occurred while updating the GeoFences from server "Default" in service "Geofences". java.lang.NullPointerException."

has this bug been address in 10.4.1 patches?   

Thanks,

Roman

0 Kudos