dfechter

CreateRandomPoints_management creates empty feature class

Discussion created by dfechter on Jul 22, 2013
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 by dfechter
Hi guys,
I'm totally lost and on the verge of a mental breakdown. I'm trying to write a script for an automatic CostPath analysis and I'm getting very weird results and errors. Basicly what I want is this:

I'm creating a CostDistance Raster dataset and the backlink set by multiplying different Raster Datasets with randomly generated numbers and using a polygon-feature class as the starting point. so far so good. Then I create four random points, constraint by four polygones to act as the destination. When I start the CostPath analysis, I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\My Dropbox\Diss\Python Workspace\GIS Tutorial\src\test_rand.py", line 216, in <module>
    outCostPathFrankreich = CostPath(PFrankreich, outCostDist, outBkLinkRaster, "BEST_SINGLE", "FID")
  File "C:\Programme\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\sa\Functions.py", line 693, in CostPath
    destination_field)
  File "C:\Programme\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\sa\Utils.py", line 47, in swapper
    result = wrapper(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Programme\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\sa\Functions.py", line 686, in wrapper
    destination_field)
  File "C:\Programme\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 474, in <lambda>
    return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args))
arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: ERROR 010045: COSTPATH: The number of FROM cells is 0.
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.

Funny thing: When I look in my folder, there are four point features created, each with a point within my constraining feature class. So the points exist, but is does not work...

here are some code snippets that may help to understand the mess I made:
I dont post all the code to keep it small, if you need it, then please ask!

import sys
sys.path.append("C:/Programme/ArcGIS/Desktop10.0/arcpy/arcpy")

import random
import arcpy
from arcpy import env
from arcpy.sa import *
arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

arcpy.CheckOutExtension("Spatial")

#load constraining feature
ZielFrankreich = "E:/CORINE/CP_Paper3/Auswertung/basedata.gdb/FrancePointBuffer"

#create the random point
PFrankreich= arcpy.CreateRandomPoints_management("E:/CORINE/CP_Paper3/Auswertung", "randFrankreich", ZielFrankreich, "", 1)

#CostPath analysis, outCostDist, outBkLinkRaster have already been created, but to keep the codeblock as small as possible i dondt post it 
outCostPathFrankreich = CostPath(PFrankreich, outCostDist, outBkLinkRaster, "BEST_SINGLE", "FID")

If anyone has any idea that would be great. As I said, I'm so completly frustrated.... If you need any additional information, please ask.

Cheers, thanks a lot in advance,

Dominik

Outcomes