Transfer between organisations

07-16-2013 12:18 PM
AndyNorris
New Contributor III
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to transfer data from one organisation to another.  I thought this could be done by changing the data owner, but I found that it's not possible to be a member of two organisations with the same login.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Andy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor
You'll need to have two separate accounts, but if you do you can transfer from one account to another using a sample tool on GitHub:
https://github.com/Esri/ago-assistant

It actually copies maps so if you are using map IDs in apps, you'll need to edit the apps that use them.
0 Kudos
AndyNorris
New Contributor III
Hi, thanks for the tip, quite useful for copying maps. 

However it doesn't work for Feature Services, and copied tiles don't load once copied......is there any other way of moving services between organisations?

Andy
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Probably the easiest way is to export the data from a feature service from the item details page (as a shapefile or csv), then publish it in the other organization. Go to the layer listed on the item details page and click the arrow next to the name to see the export option.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AndyNorris
New Contributor III
Hi Mike,

I thought that would be the answer, guess I'll have to do it the manual way.  Do you know if the GitHub sample tool will be updated anytime soon?

Cheers,
Andy
0 Kudos
WoodyBailey1
New Contributor III
In response to the suggestion to export as .shp or .csv, I'm wondering if in some cases it work better if you add the service from you arcgis online account to ArcGIS 10.1 for desktop. This is an option when viewing your content and you click the triangle link of the published service. Once the service is in ArcGIS you can use the export to geodatabase. I was hoping this method would preserve the attachments but I can't seem to get those out. I am hoping they improve the interchangeability of the ArcGIS online and Collector since it is presumed that many collecting data in the field with the Collector app will want to export/import that data complete with the attachments into their GIS. I just found an even easier way to do this from within ArcGIS online. From table of contents you rtclick the layer and choose analysis, one of the options is extract data. This still however striped out the attachments. I also looked at the downloaded map which you can download as a .sd file, inside there is a geodatabase which strangely enough appears to be the original upload, minus any attachments or the added features. I hope there is some answers on how to get data that is developed, updated and had attachments made using ArcGIS online/collector/or even explorer extracted in a format that preserves this data for use in ArcGIS desktop.
0 Kudos