How to display PDFs in a Gallery

07-15-2013 01:59 PM
ErinNovakovich
New Contributor III
I have several PDF maps I would like to put together into a group and share in a Gallery. What is the best way to accomplish this? So far I have only been able to create the group and collect all the files there. When I open the template and try to view the files I added to the group, only the web maps will show up.
I am using the public maps gallery template as a starting place and my PDF documents exist with URLs so I don't have them directly on my computer. If I attach the files as documents they don't show up in the gallery and if I attach them as web map applications they try to open as if they were a map, not a PDF files. And yet if I do it either way I can open them just fine within ArcGIS Online.
Is there something I am missing or is there another way to accomplish this task?
GIS Analyst for AK
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The gallery only supports displaying Web maps and web mapping applications.

If your PDF is available on the web via a URL, as a hack, you could add it as a web mapping application. Then share the item to a group and ALSO make share the PDF publicly. Then from the group, you can click the Share button and create a gallery app. The PDF only downloads for me. I've not been able to get it to display in the browser window. There is a browser setting as part of a plug in or add in for handling PDFs, but it didn't work for me.

THanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ErinNovakovich
New Contributor III

If your PDF is available on the web via a URL, as a hack, you could add it as a web mapping application. Then share the item to a group and ALSO make share the PDF publicly. Then from the group, you can click the Share button and create a gallery app.

This is exactly what I have done. When I click on one of the thumbnails it just tries to load a mapping application, which doesn't work because I've linked it to a PDF.
Thanks for you quick reply Mike 🙂
Erin
GIS Analyst for AK
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
For me, the PDF gets downloaded.

How are you adding the item? Here's how I do it.

1. Go to My Content and click Add Item

2. On the dialog, choose "the item is: an application"

3. Enter the URL to the PDF. The rest of the options are meaningless for the PDF.

4. Enter a tile, add tags and click ok.

5. Share the item with everyone and to the specific group you'll make the gallery from.

6. Go to the group and click the Share button.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ErinNovakovich
New Contributor III

1. Go to My Content and click Add Item

2. On the dialog, choose "the item is: an application"

3. Enter the URL to the PDF. The rest of the options are meaningless for the PDF.

4. Enter a tile, add tags and click ok.

5. Share the item with everyone and to the specific group you'll make the gallery from.

6. Go to the group and click the Share button.

This worked, thank you!
Once I get the bugs worked out of my gallery I will post a link here 🙂
GIS Analyst for AK
0 Kudos
ErinNovakovich
New Contributor III
http://dnr.alaska.gov/gis/raster/map_library/DNRtemplates/DSSmapgallery.htm

Here is a link to my functional Map Gallery. This contains all PDF Files so far. Eventually there will be links to other department's map collections across the top of the page.
GIS Analyst for AK
0 Kudos