Subfolders and Ovewriting

07-09-2013 06:03 PM
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III
Something has changed since the beginning of July regarding overwriting services that are in a subdirectory.

Before July when you initially published a service it went to the root and you could move it to a subdirectory and then overwrite it (I'm using a python script to do that) and it would overwrite the one in the subdirectory.

Now it appears it creates a new one in the root and doesn't affect the one in the subdirectory.

Anyone else having this happen to them?

And to top things off I can't appear to publish non-tiled services now on arcgis.com?

Tiled no prob though.

EDIT - It appears if you've had a Service of a particular name and you delete it, it takes a while before you can reuse that name.

I'm trying to use the following code: http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2013/04/23/updating-arcgis-com-hosted-feature-services-with-python...

I've had success with this in past but didn't use ALL the XML modifications.   I've now added them all because it looks like if you don't add them it's defaulting back to Tiled even when you're just overwriting.  But now I'm getting timeouts on the post server processing.

This change happened to arcgis online around the 4/5th July?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
This issue has been identified as a bug:

NIM080606: "An ArcGIS Online hosted feature service can only be overwritten if it is located in the user's root content directory"

This is the documented workaround:
1) Save a Service Definition file to the computer (instead of overwriting an existing service).
2) In AGOL, go the existing Service Definition file's description page and select the Update button to overwrite it with the new Service Definition file on the computer.
0 Kudos