Data Out Of Date: Where does ESRI get data for Basemaps

07-08-2013 09:01 AM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
We are using both the Topography and Street basemaps from ESRI in our AGO maps all of which are Washington State centric.  One of our users noticed that both of these maps show outlines and labels for state parks that have not existed for over ten years.  The same user has asked that we drop both maps from our webapps so we don't confuse our users. 

To verify I compared the ESRI data shipped with version 10.0 against the latest version of parks data from WA State Parks.  The GIS layers that ESRI ships matches their Topography and Street basemaps which are consistent but WAY out of date.  Does anyone know where ESRI gets its state data for the US?  Is there any way we can get ESRI to use recent data, from the source, in place of the out of date and erroneous data found in their maps?  (To be fair google maps shows the same erroneous data.)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GISDev1
Occasional Contributor III
We are using both the Topography and Street basemaps from ESRI in our AGO maps all of which are Washington State centric.  One of our users noticed that both of these maps show outlines and labels for state parks that have not existed for over ten years.  The same user has asked that we drop both maps from our webapps so we don't confuse our users. 

To verify I compared the ESRI data shipped with version 10.0 against the latest version of parks data from WA State Parks.  The GIS layers that ESRI ships matches their Topography and Street basemaps which are consistent but WAY out of date.  Does anyone know where ESRI gets its state data for the US?  Is there any way we can get ESRI to use recent data, from the source, in place of the out of date and erroneous data found in their maps?  (To be fair google maps shows the same erroneous data.)

Last time I heard, you can make a comment on the Basemap entry in the arcgis.com gallery and it might get on the list of updates for the next round. You can also put in a support ticket and that might be a better option. Either way, don't expect any fast changes to any basemaps.
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
As GIS Dev said, if you see inconsistencies with Esri Basemaps, online locators, etc, please submit a support ticket to have the problem logged.  You can also post a comment on that items page on ArcGIS Online.
0 Kudos
MattStull
New Contributor III

The ESRI basemaps uses the HERE (used to be Navteq) street data.  If you look in the lower right corner of any basemap you should see other data sources referenced there.  I would recommend going the source data maker and send them updates (like the HERE Map Creator - HERE Map Creator ).

0 Kudos