Welcome to the Landscape Layers forum

07-05-2013 10:46 AM
CharlieFrye
Esri Contributor

Welcome to the Landscape Maps and Data forum. This forum is for you to post questions and provide ideas for the ArcGIS for Landscape (beta).  

About the Landscape Analysis Layers

These layers are available for use now!  Visit the Landscape Layers Group on ArcGIS.com to learn more.

Feedback

Your feedback matters!  What layers do you find most useful?  How are you using them? Did you use any geoprocessing tools with these services and what was your experience? If you want to let us know, post your feedback here on this forum. Please let us know too, if you have issues or are experiencing problems with any of the layers.  We cannot wait to hear from you!

Tags (2)
39 Replies
AndreaBolks
New Contributor
This group was really hard to find trying to navigate the website. The only way I found it was here, in the forum.
0 Kudos
AndreaBolks
New Contributor
I have been trying to open the layer in ArcGIS Desktop (10) and it doesn't seem to work. Are they not available to be used in 10.0?
0 Kudos
AndreaBolks
New Contributor
OK- I now see that yes you need 10.1 to open in ArcMap. Why can I not open the maps in online though?  I am part of the EPA's Online Organization but still cannot access the content and I am not sure why?
0 Kudos
JohnKeeling
New Contributor
The USA Soil Map Units service is only visible in the web interface at large scales because of the detail of the data. If you are having trouble displaying a service, try zooming in and see if anything appears. If this does not work or you have problems accessing any of the landscape services please continue to let us know.
0 Kudos
RoslynMiller
New Contributor
I want to add four layers to a topographical basemap. I have added three layers successfully--roads, railroads, and waterways--so that all the layers and the basemap can be seen at once; that is, roads, railroads, waterways, and topography are all visible on one map. I want to also add a layer of transmissions lines, but the ESRI transmission lines layer is not transparent like the other layers. When I add that layer, it covers the basemap and all the other layers so that they are not visible.

Is there a transmission lines layer that allows you to see through to the basemap and other layers, or can the transmission lines layer somehow be made transparent so that the basemap and other layers can be seen?
0 Kudos
MaryMozingo
Esri Contributor
I want to add four layers to a topographical basemap. I have added three layers successfully--roads, railroads, and waterways--so that all the layers and the basemap can be seen at once; that is, roads, railroads, waterways, and topography are all visible on one map. I want to also add a layer of transmissions lines, but the ESRI transmission lines layer is not transparent like the other layers. When I add that layer, it covers the basemap and all the other layers so that they are not visible.

Is there a transmission lines layer that allows you to see through to the basemap and other layers, or can the transmission lines layer somehow be made transparent so that the basemap and other layers can be seen?

[INDENT]The USA_Transmission_Lines layer you have added to your map is an image service layer, which comes from a raster layer source.  In ArcMap, in order to "see through" the raster you will need to change the way the transmission lines image/raster layer is symbolized.

The zero values should be set as background values, and then the color ramp should be inverted. First, in the layer properties, in the Symbology tab, check on the option to Display Background Value: 0 (zero) as 'No Color', then under 'Stretch, check on the Invert option and click OK.

If this doesn't fully meet your needs, you can also apply transparency to the layer properties, within the 'Display' tab.[/INDENT]
0 Kudos
RoslynMiller
New Contributor
[INDENT]The USA_Transmission_Lines layer you have added to your map is an image service layer, which comes from a raster layer source.  In ArcMap, in order to "see through" the raster you will need to change the way the transmission lines image/raster layer is symbolized.

The zero values should be set as background values, and then the color ramp should be inverted. First, in the layer properties, in the Symbology tab, check on the option to Display Background Value: 0 (zero) as 'No Color', then under 'Stretch, check on the Invert option and click OK.

If this doesn't fully meet your needs, you can also apply transparency to the layer properties, within the 'Display' tab.[/INDENT]

Thank you very much replying. I found where I could adjust the transparency yesterday, and that solved my problem.
0 Kudos
GregMaynard
New Contributor

Hi,

I am attempting to load the USA Soil Map Units (NRCS SSURGO dataset) in ArcGIS 10.1 and am having problems.  After clicking "Add", ArcMap thinks for a minute and then nothing happens.  I am zoomed in to a very large scale (small area) but the data doesn't even show in the layers section.  It seems like a bunch of people are having the same problem and it may be available using a certain format, but not through this one.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Maynard

0 Kudos
MaryMozingo
Esri Contributor

Hi Greg,

I tried to reproduce the results from the steps as you stated using ArcGIS 10.1, but I was able to see the layer in the table of contents, the data was visible at a large scale (visible out to 1:100,000), and the data was queryable.  Please let us know if you are still experiencing a problem.  The service appears to be working in ArcGIS Desktop 10.1, as well as 10.2.2.

Thank you,

Mary Mozingo

0 Kudos