Seeking career advice

Jump to solution
07-01-2013 02:51 AM
JuliiBrainard
New Contributor
Don't laugh, I know I probably come across as quite sad.

If I were you're best friend, and this was my story, what would you advise?

I was an Arc/Info "expert" from 1990-2005.  I had an 8 yr career break to raise kids and am currently working as a researcher in
population health (fixed term contract).  I'm trying to figure out if I have any chance to get back into GIS.  I understand that
my AML &
command line knowledge is all obsolete. There are few GIS jobs where I live now, and no way to get any accredited training (I
already have lots of University degrees too).  I am toying with idea of moving to
San Diego where GIS jobs are well paid, but they all want 18months + experience; I have 15 yrs experience but sadly, all
obsolete (?I think). And I can't afford to live in SD without a well-paid job. 🙂

I am trying to figure out if I need to shelve the idea of ever returning to GIS.  I am getting hold of a Python for Dummies book,
I did read an SQL manual & that was all pretty obvious.  Not sure if there's any other way I could brush up my skills.  Thoughts?
Thx in Advance.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Julii,

Great question!  I would strongly encourage you to pursue your GIS career as it's one of the more stable professions out there and there's quite a bit of career growth.  You are correct that ArcInfo Workstation and AML have gone the way of the dinosaur but you have a solid GIS foundation upon which to build.  I would recommend several things:

Learn ArcGIS for Desktop:  There are several tutorial books from Esri Press that will assist you with self paced training.  The first is GIS Tuturial 1:  Basic Workbook 10.1 Edition..  There are GIS Tutorials 2 and 3 to build upon as well.

Request a free 60-day evaluation copy of ArcGIS for Desktop or better yet invest in the ArcGIS for Home Use Program ($100 for Desktop Advanced plus many extensions).  Use the Home Use Program to build your skills.

Learn all about ArcGIS Online and create a free Public account to build online maps.

Find and get involved in an Esri User Group to network, build skills.

Look over the GIS Jobs Clearinghouse to see what kind of jobs are out there and how much they're paying.  Don't forget the Esri also hires entry level positions as well!

Search for internship opportunities within the public, private, and non-profit sectors.  Volunteer your GIS skills to build them.

Develop a LinkedIn profile to build your online resume - use it to network within the GIS community.

Since you're interested in San Diego, the Esri International Users Conference is in 1 week!  Kind of last minute I know, but you will be amazed by 14,000+ GIS professionals from all walks of life using ArcGIS.  Again, perfect networking opportunity.

So in closing, I'd say pursue your GIS goal - it is certainly doable with time, education, and networking!

Regards,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JuliiBrainard
New Contributor
Aw nuts, first incompetent move of the day, stuck this in the wrong topic.  Oh well, replies still appreciated.
And sorry for the lousy formattting.
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Julii,

Great question!  I would strongly encourage you to pursue your GIS career as it's one of the more stable professions out there and there's quite a bit of career growth.  You are correct that ArcInfo Workstation and AML have gone the way of the dinosaur but you have a solid GIS foundation upon which to build.  I would recommend several things:

Learn ArcGIS for Desktop:  There are several tutorial books from Esri Press that will assist you with self paced training.  The first is GIS Tuturial 1:  Basic Workbook 10.1 Edition..  There are GIS Tutorials 2 and 3 to build upon as well.

Request a free 60-day evaluation copy of ArcGIS for Desktop or better yet invest in the ArcGIS for Home Use Program ($100 for Desktop Advanced plus many extensions).  Use the Home Use Program to build your skills.

Learn all about ArcGIS Online and create a free Public account to build online maps.

Find and get involved in an Esri User Group to network, build skills.

Look over the GIS Jobs Clearinghouse to see what kind of jobs are out there and how much they're paying.  Don't forget the Esri also hires entry level positions as well!

Search for internship opportunities within the public, private, and non-profit sectors.  Volunteer your GIS skills to build them.

Develop a LinkedIn profile to build your online resume - use it to network within the GIS community.

Since you're interested in San Diego, the Esri International Users Conference is in 1 week!  Kind of last minute I know, but you will be amazed by 14,000+ GIS professionals from all walks of life using ArcGIS.  Again, perfect networking opportunity.

So in closing, I'd say pursue your GIS goal - it is certainly doable with time, education, and networking!

Regards,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Julii,

I remember you! Robert has some great suggestions. If you manage to make to a UC, you'll be amazed at how big it is!

I don't know if it will be useful, but could look at some of the older help and articles about migrating from workstation to ArcGIS. They should help highlight the changes in the data formats and user interfaces. I just did a search using

"ArcInfo workstation" migration

and turned up some items. Possibly also Esri white papers. Here's a page on the geodatabase with a set of links to papers and podcasts/presentations.

Melita
0 Kudos
JuliiBrainard
New Contributor
omg, Melita remembers me, now I feel so embarrassed because recognition is not mutual.  So sorry to ask, how have we met?

Sadly I am not up for a 4500 mile flight next week.  But thanks for the info.
All that homestudy is still very daunting, but it's good to begin to have some idea what it would need to be like.
Cheers.
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
We probably haven't met in person, and I'm remembering your name from ESRI-L or the web forums. Or I saw your book. Who knows? Or maybe I've confused you with someone else!

I handle map projections/datum transformations so if you ever had a question about them, I may have answered it.

Melita
0 Kudos
JuliiBrainard
New Contributor
That makes sense, ESRI-L (makes us both old gimmers, I think then!!).
Thanks for the advice. 🙂
0 Kudos