ArcGIS server 10.1 Token Service Stops?

06-26-2013 11:59 AM
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II
I'm using AGIS Server 10.1 SP1 on Windows 2008R2, SQL as the user store, GIS Server as the Authentication level, and the WebAdaptor unsing IIS. 

I have a folder secured and others that are not. The secured folder requires Token authentication for a service used in a javascript app with a long lived token, and using authentication makes the service visible in the REST endpoints. This works fine most of the time. However I have had problems with the Token Service occasionally failing or stopping. This results in the web application failing to authenticate and does not draw the map, but it does not kill the application. When this happens logging into the REST site also fails to authenticate and will not provide access to or even display the secured folder but it appears that the login works.

Is anyone else having problems with the Token Service stopping or failing? My only solution at this time is to either restart the ArcGIS Server using ArcGIS Server Manager, or physically restarting the machine. Recycling the WebAdaptor app pool in IIS does not clear this. Open services (those that are not secured) do not seem to be effected--they remain visible and the apps using them work fine.

Any ideas or shared experiences with this are greatly appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Do you have any entries in the NT event log related to this?

Do you have any entries in the ArcGIS Server log related to this (which can be accessed via ArcGIS Server Manager)?

I'd also look on the file system to see if there are any log files related to this.

You also did not mention how you have security configured.  Perhaps your problem is related to that?
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
what's the name of your instance of ags? Is <> of 'arcgis'?
I ask this because:
NIM088894 Tokens fail to generate when accessed through a Web Adaptor that has a name other than the default 'arcgis'  (it's fixed in 10.2)
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II
@ciava.at:

My web adaptor is not using the default arcgis. I'm running 10.2 and I'm still having issues with intermittent access via tokens. More specifically I have an app using jscript to a secure service. This service is hit and miss with the app sometimes working for days and then it unexpectedly fails to draw the service. Looking into the app shows a 403 error but there is no reason for this to fail (the user does have permission and a valid token).

Is there any way to refresh or restart the token services independent of completely restarting ArcGIS Server?
0 Kudos