AnsweredAssumed Answered

Elliptic moving window for focal statistics with rotation angle from a table?

Question asked by ryoriot on Jun 22, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 by ryoriot
Hello to all!

For a long time I have been searching for a solution of my problem...

The problem is as follows:

I need a elliptical search window for focal statistics (Max), where the major axis is oriented due to an angle from a table (in my case from aspect values so that the ellipse is oriented downslope).

I thought about creating a kernel file for irregular neighborhoods (which is ok for my purpose), but there is no possiblity to rotate this due to a table. I have very large data (>500km², 10m*10m), so a somehow manual creation of ellipses isn't possible, since i have to check that for every pixel... For Wedge Neighborhoods there exists the possiblity to have an angle input and to orient the window, but not for rectangular or irregular.

For your information: I am dealing with landslides (idealised form: ellipse) and I have absolute no idea about programming :(.
Would it be possible to create a phyton script (for toolboxes) by somehow adding the possibility to rotate the window due to an additional input? Is that a big task or only a matter of a few minutes?

I just saw that some interpolation techniques in arcgis have the possibility of a user defined elliptic search window (e.g.: http://resources.arcgis.com/de/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00300000000n000000)...

I would be very glad if someone can help me!

Thanks you a lot!

e.

Outcomes