Shannon diversity index

06-21-2013 10:01 AM
MiguelGomez
New Contributor
Hi,

I am using arcgis 10.0 and I need to install the tool (diversity calculator) that was developed for (ArcGIS 9.2/9.3).

I know that At ArcGIS Desktop 10 users have to install ArcObjects SDK for .NET which also automatically installs .NET support.

But when I launch the setup for ArcObjects SDK for .NET in the installation DVD. It gives me the error "arcobjects SDK for the microsoft.net framework requires a supported edition of microsof visualt studio 2010 to proceed"

Does anyone know what the problem might be?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
It sounds like this tool I developed for ArcGIS 9. I do have plans to update this to ArcGIS 10, but unfortunately, this is not high on my priority list right now.

Generally, ArcGIS 10 isn't able to use the tools that were developed for ArcGIS 9. In this case, the installer is looking for specific assemblies for ArcGIS 9 that are not included with 10.

You don't need to install the SDK just to use tools that were developed for ArcGIS. This is for the developers to build the custom functionality.

Drop me a line at ken.buja at noaa.gov if you'd like to discuss this more.
0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
The Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET) include a geoprocessing script, "Calculate Species Diversity Index for Polygons" that can compute Species Diversity Indices for polygon coverage data. Under the hood, that function uses the R vegan package to compute the measures.

cheers,
Shaun
0 Kudos
MiguelGomez
New Contributor
The Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET) include a geoprocessing script, "Calculate Species Diversity Index for Polygons" that can compute Species Diversity Indices for polygon coverage data. Under the hood, that function uses the R vegan package to compute the measures.

cheers,
Shaun

Thanks a lot Shaun,

I downloaded and installed your tool. However, I am not sure if I can use it. My intention is to calculate Shannon entropy index to measure "urban sprawl" (diversity of land use).

I don't have points identifying the observed species but polygons capturing different land uses.

thanks so much for your answer

Miguel
0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
Miguel,

The Shannon diversity index was originally designed to handle species diversity, but it has since been applied to other problems like land cover classification. Where you see 'species' you can think 'land cover class' and the same concepts apply. Vegan includes details on how its calculations are computed, and these shouldn't vary between different kinds of entities -- species or land cover classes. Diversity indicies measure similarity in categorical variables, and have been used to measure many things outside of ecology including land cover and demography.

cheers,
Shaun
JeffreyEvans
Occasional Contributor III
You do not give much detail on your data. The type of data really dictates the tool that you utilize. It is starting to sound like you want to apply a diversity index to landcover. This is actually somewhat straightforward. Using raster input Fragstats will calculate both Simpson's and Shannon's diversity. 

See this document for details.
http://www.umass.edu/landeco/research/fragstats/documents/fragstats.help.4.pdf
0 Kudos