AHP extension

Jump to solution
06-19-2013 04:07 AM
BerQuinn
New Contributor
Hi
I have installed the AHP extension "AHP 1.1 ??? Decision support tool for ArcGIS" using ArcMap 10.1. When I click the AHP button nothing happens - the AHP window doesn't open. Any ideas how I can get the AHP extension to run in ArcMap 10.1?

Many thanks
Ber
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  Any ideas how I can get the AHP extension (arcscripts link) to run in ArcMap 10.1?

The documentation for this tool says it was last tested with ArcGIS 9.1.

ArcObjects applications don't tend to travel well between major versions, the developer would have to pretty much re-code it to work with the 10.x version of the software -- there were major architecture updates at 10.0 -- I have never seen a 9x .dll that worked with 10.x.

You have to ask the developer to update the extension, (hopefully using the new addin technology so it can be loaded without elevated privileges).

Shaun, did you locate a different version? The one on ArcScripts is a .dll (presumably built with VB6, *not*  VBA).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
It looks like the extension is written in VBA, a deprecated platform. To get support for VBA in 10.1, you need to install ArcGIS for Desktop VBA Compatability. I've tested AHP with VBA enabled on 10.1SP1, and it works provided the VBA support is available.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  Any ideas how I can get the AHP extension (arcscripts link) to run in ArcMap 10.1?

The documentation for this tool says it was last tested with ArcGIS 9.1.

ArcObjects applications don't tend to travel well between major versions, the developer would have to pretty much re-code it to work with the 10.x version of the software -- there were major architecture updates at 10.0 -- I have never seen a 9x .dll that worked with 10.x.

You have to ask the developer to update the extension, (hopefully using the new addin technology so it can be loaded without elevated privileges).

Shaun, did you locate a different version? The one on ArcScripts is a .dll (presumably built with VB6, *not*  VBA).
0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

I just used the version listed on ArcScripts, and played around with the tool in a cursory fashion, I should've performed all analysis steps prior to commenting. It does *mostly* work, and can compute its weights, eigenvalues, and consistency ratio without issue, but the final step of combining these into a raster output fails with the error "AddRastersMapAlgb: Automation error Unspecified Error". This is, as you mentioned, due to the changes in architecture between releases.
0 Kudos
BerQuinn
New Contributor
The earliest version I have access to is 9.2 and the extension won't add to arcmap using it. Attempts to contact the developer have failed.
Many thanks for your replies.
0 Kudos
BernadetteQuinn
New Contributor
Update - following a response from the developer the AHP extension now works in ArcMap 9.2.
When I tried to install the extension I was getting a message saying "No new objects added".
To install the extension you have to install it in administrator mode. Right click the ArcGIS icon and select "Run as
admin...". The extension should then be available in the "Developer tools" section. Go to menu Tools -> Customize.
Go on the second tab. Scroll down the list on the left hand side until you see "Developer samples". Click on this item.
On the right hand side you would see a text that says "AHP...". Click on that item and drag it to an ArcMap toolbar.
Then close the window and the extension should be ready for use.
0 Kudos
MarkusMeinhardt
New Contributor
I'm using Arc Map 10.0 SP5 and the AHP extension works at all, even the output raster is computed without any Problems or error Message.
0 Kudos