cannot identify xy features on arcGIS online map

06-17-2013 05:06 AM
QinLi
by
New Contributor
Hi there!

Via file-> arcGIS online, I opened two maps: "USA Street Map" and "USA core based statistical area".
but then I imported xy features from excel, but they didn't show up on the map...
(couldn't be the problem of excel import, because I tried the features without the two maps, and it worked...)
Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you using ArcMap?
What are the coordinate values of locations in your Excel file? From what you describe, it doesn't sound like they are in web mercator auxiliary sphere (EPSG 3857). WHen you add the web map first, it sets the coordinate system of the data frame. I'm not positive, but I don't think the excel points get projected on the fly. The fact that you can see the excel points when you add them by themselves most likely means the coordinates don't get projected. If you see the layer in the TOC, right click and zoom to it.

Mike
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
The online services are using 3857 aka WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere for their coordinate system. Your Excel data is almost certainly not using this coordinate system. The Add XY Data tool defaults the coordinate system to whatever the map is using. So it's likely your Excel data is being assigned the wrong coordinate system. Check to see what it should be and assign that when you add the data to the map. ArcMap can project XY data (Excel, csv, etc.) on the fly.

Melita
0 Kudos