Traffic Service Source Data

06-12-2013 04:40 AM
SueCarroll
New Contributor III
Can anyone tell me what the source is for the Traffic Service data?  I've read what I could find in the online help, but all I know is it is updated every 5 minutes.  But updated from where?  Is there a global authority on traffic flow, traffic incidents, construction, etc?  I won't use this information unless I can assure my end users of it's validity.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimothieBiggs
New Contributor II
Related question - is there supposed to be information behind the traffic incident points showing in the data? When I click on a point I get nothing - I was attempting to do a cross-check  to verify quality before recommending it to other users.
0 Kudos
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor
Hello suec,

Esri receives traffic data (historic, live, and predictive) from HERE, which may be more familiar to you as NAVTEQ or Nokia.  For more information about HERE, you can visit www.HERE.com.

HERE integrates more traffic data sources than any other traffic data supplier and utilizes more commercial and consumer GPS probe data than any other organization in the industry.  HERE collects billions of GPS and cell phone probe records per month and where available uses sensor and toll tag data to augment the probe data collected.  To compile this vast amount of data, HERE uses an advanced algorithm to compute accurate speeds.  Traffic is derived from several primary data inputs.  This includes, commercial GPS probe data, consumer GPS probe data, and sensor data.

Let me know if you need more information and I'd be happy to help, Scott - ssanduskky@esri.com
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor
Hello timothieb,

Yes, there is attribute information behind the incident points.  This includes the below attribution.
severity
incident type
start time
end time
last updated time
description

Depending on what application you are using, these attributes may or may not be identifiable by default.  For example, if you are using the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer, those attributes may be exposed by enabling and configuring pop-ups.

You can also connect in ArcGIS Desktop for example, using these steps:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/What_are_the_ArcGIS_Online_network_analysis_services...

Let me know if you have any other questions about this data, Scott
EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Scott,

I would like to share the "World Traffic Service" in the Basic Viewer app template with the public. I followed the instructions here: http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2014/10/07/public-access-to-arcgis-online-premium-services/  But I still got an error message when I try to map the traffic service I just added with my organization credentials.  Where should I check?

Also, is it true that using the "World Traffic Service" doesn't consume credits?

Thanks a lot!

Emily

Riverside County, CA

0 Kudos