Occasional Contributor
The ArcGIS.bundle file contains these Magnifier related graphics files:

Magnifier.png: 141x141 px
Magnifier@2x.png: 282x282 px
Magnifier~ipad.png: 282x282 px
MagnifierMask.png: 141x141 px
MagnifierMask@2x.png: 282x282 px
MagnifierMask~ipad.png: 282x282 px

Note that there are no @2x versions of the ~ipad graphics and the ipad files are twice as big as the non-retina iPhone versions.

The net result is that on non-retina iPads the magnifier is twice as big as it should be, but on retina iPads it is the correct size.

The is a big problem if your map view does not take up the whole iPad screen because the map autoscrolls when the magnifier gets near the edge so the UI becomes very awkward. Also, it is pixelated and doesn't look so good.

I tried replacing the Magnifier~ipad.png and MagnifierMask~ipad.png files with smaller copies in my xcode project (like you can do to override the GpsDisplay graphics) - but this did not work.

Please, how can I get the magnifier to work correctly on non-retina iPads?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks, James. We'll look into this.

We intentionally decided the magnifier on iPad would be 2x that on iPhone.
The fact that you're seeing a smaller magnifier on iPad-Retina is accidental -  we forgot to include the high resolution images for iPad 🙂

But what you say about having a smaller iPad magnifier for apps that don't have a full screen map makes sense.

Edit> As a workaround, have you tried making a local copy of the ArcGIS.bundle file for your app, and deleting the ~ipad files? I think this should force the SDK to load iphone versions of those images for retina & non-retina devices, thus giving you a smaller magnifier

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks, James. We'll look into this.

We intentionally decided the magnifier on iPad would be 2x that on iPhone.
The fact that you're seeing a smaller magnifier on iPad-Retina is accidental -  we forgot to include the high resolution images for iPad 🙂

But what you say about having a smaller iPad magnifier for apps that don't have a full screen map makes sense.

Edit> As a workaround, have you tried making a local copy of the ArcGIS.bundle file for your app, and deleting the ~ipad files? I think this should force the SDK to load iphone versions of those images for retina & non-retina devices, thus giving you a smaller magnifier
0 Kudos
JamesRichards1
Occasional Contributor
Divesh,
Thanks for that workaround. Deleting the ~ipad Magnifier images from the bundle does produce the smaller magnifier 🙂
Cheers!
- James
0 Kudos
MohamedMuzammil
New Contributor
Thanks for the workaround.
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
In the latest SDK (v10.2) we have fixed the issue. Please use latest SDK.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos