Selecting points in raster dataset

06-06-2013 06:21 AM
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
Is there a way to select points in a raster dataset by raster classification? I have a floating point raster created from the points, classified into 4 ranges by standard deviation. I want to find out how many points are in each range. I thought of converting the raster to polygons, but that requires an integer raster. Then I thought ok, convert the floating point raster to integer, but that requires Spatial Analyst, which someone else has checked out. Maybe there's something in Spatial Statistics, but not familiar with those tools. Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Why not use the Reclassify tool to create the different classes in a raster of the same cell size. Then you can build the raster attribute table and obtain the number of cells there.
0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
Thanks, but unless I'm misunderstsnding (always a possibility), what I was looking for was a count of the points in each classification, not the number of cells. Similar to a Select by Location if the raster classifications were polygons. That's essentially what I ended up doing once the Spatial Analyst license was released. Converted the floating point raster to integer using the Raster Calculator, converted that to polygons, merged all polygons for each classification, did a Select by Location on each class to get the count.

There's probably an easier way, because that seems kind of Rube Goldbergish, but it worked.
0 Kudos