Error preventing registration of data stores

06-05-2013 10:06 AM
TimRourke
New Contributor
I'm working on a virtual server running ArcGIS for Server 10.1 in a development environment for evaluation:
- Windows Server 2008R2 Standard
- IIS
- ArcGIS 10.1 Advanced
- DB2 database 64-bit client version 9.7fp4

Our data source is a remote database server running DB2 in AIX with existing DB2 databases with SDE 10.0, all used by other development machines and existing GIS applications. We do not set up sde instances, but always connect via Direct Connect.

I can connect to the remote database from the ArcGIS 10.1 server using the DB2 command line.
I can create SDE connection files and view data on the ArcGIS 10.1 server using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1.

I followed these steps to register a data store:
- Create a new SDE connection file using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 and it works and shows the data tables and lets me add data to a map. The connection uses database authentication and the username and password are saved. Note that on the database server, there is a user account with the same user name and password as in the SDE connection file. This is required by our security.
- In ArcGIS Server Manager, import the same SDE connection file that works in ArcGIS for Desktop.
- Click the Create button in the dialog and get an error message saying
       "Invalid database connection."

When I look in the logs I see the message:
      "The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized."

There is no indication of which property is missing or what property value was unrecognized. The data used in the dialog was imported by ArcGIS Server Manager from a file created by ArcGIS Desktop.
The database log shows no indication that a connection was attempted.
This behavior is constant, no matter what variations are attempted in the dialog.

In some parts of the Help files there is mention that the ArcGIS Server user account must have access to the database. I can't see a reason for this since the connection is by database authentication, so I have not requested that access.

Is there some way to make this process succeed?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies