use an attribute for traffic direction?

06-04-2013 11:14 AM
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
can NA use an attribute to determine the flow of traffic on a road feature or is it limited to the digitized line direction?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I use an attribute called.... Oneway. (short integer, nulls not allowed)

It has three values: 0 (zero) which means there is no travel restriction (two way traffic flow); 1 (one) which means traffic restriction to the same direction of the polyline; and 2(two) which means travel restriction to the opposite direction of the polyline.  In my geodatabase, the default value is 0 since the majority of new roads are two way.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KeG
by
New Contributor II
very interesting. but how do you actually use that attribute when building the network? The docs say that One Way restrictions have to be attributes/expressions that evaluate to Boolean. I thought that meant a road was either one way or two way. Unless you are using this in some other way like Connectivity maybe?
0 Kudos
RobertGarrity
Esri Contributor
A restriction does indeed need to evaluate to true or false. 'True' means 'restricted', but each line feature represents two edges, one in the from-to digitized direction and the other in opposite direction. So you're really restricting individual sides of the street rather than the entire street. Here's a link to a video that has a better description of how it works: http://video.arcgis.com/watch/2112/creating-network-datasets-one_dash_way-streets
Best,
Robert
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
very interesting. but how do you actually use that attribute when building the network? The docs say that One Way restrictions have to be attributes/expressions that evaluate to Boolean. I thought that meant a road was either one way or two way. Unless you are using this in some other way like Connectivity maybe?

See attached jpeg....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos