Custom packages wtih 64-bit processing

Jump to solution
05-31-2013 07:22 AM
ShaneBuscher
Occasional Contributor
I have a 2008R2 server with both ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 (with Background Geoprocessing) and ArcServer 10.1 installed.  I've developed a custom Python package that I deploy to C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.1\Lib\site-packages.  I also created a PYTHONPATH environment variable pointing to this same directory.  Finally, I added C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.1 to my PATH environment variable. 

Previous to yesterday I could test my Python package within ArcMap, which is consumed through a Python Toolbox.  For reasons unknown to me, I started getting exceptions.  I boiled the problem all the way down to not even being able to 'import arcpy' within ArcMap's Python interpreter.  I was getting the exception:

>>> import arcpy
Runtime error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "D:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.1\Lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    import multiarray
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

That's pretty serious when you can't even import arcpy within ArcMap.  Long story short, I ended up having to remove the PYTHONPATH environment variable to import arcpy successfully.  However, when I tried to run my custom tools within ArcMap exceptions were still being thrown. On a whim I copied my Python package into the 32-bit site-packages directory (C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.1\Lib\site-packages), which got everything running again. 

While I did find solutions to the issues, I'm unclear about what caused the problem in the first place? Furthermore, I'm very unclear on why I had to deploy my package for 32-bit, as ArcMap should be using 64 bit (I have background GP turned on). 

Would life be easier if I deployed my Python package somewhere other than C:\Python27\ArcGISxxx  and then set the PYTHONPATH to that directory?  Any best practices? 

Regards,

Shane
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaneBuscher
Occasional Contributor
I ended up moving my Python package out of C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.1\Lib\site-packages and into D:\geoprocessing, then set my PYTHONPATH to search the new location.  Still not sure what sparked the problem though.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
This isn't terribly helpful, as there doesn't seem to be a completely clear solution, but here's a similar thread- http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/79087-Problem-importing-arcpy-in-ArcMap-console-64-bit-DLL-conflict
0 Kudos
ShaneBuscher
Occasional Contributor
I ended up moving my Python package out of C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.1\Lib\site-packages and into D:\geoprocessing, then set my PYTHONPATH to search the new location.  Still not sure what sparked the problem though.
0 Kudos