Using Natural Neighbor Interpolation for Transportation Demand Analysis

05-30-2013 01:56 PM
TonySalomone
New Contributor II
Hi,

I'm a GIS Analyst at a transportation firm and have developed a heat map model to represent bicycle and pedestrian demand. It's based on weighted point data an currently uses kernel density as the mechanism to determine "hot spots." This has worked really well but I've been experimenting with the Natural Neighbor and IDW interpolation tools. The results with these tools are not drastically different and the numerical values generating with Natural Neighbor are a lot more logical than those of Kernel density.

Has anyone used Natural Neighbor or other interpolation tools for transportation analyses? Most of what I've seen with the tools mentioned, including kernel density, have been used for surface or other environmental projects.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndreaNair
New Contributor
I was wondering if you could explain the process you used to create the Natural Neighbor files? I am trying to do the same thing with point data, however it fails to create a raster for me. I am not sure what I am overlooking. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
TonySalomone
New Contributor II
Hi there,

Basically what I'm doing is taking a point feature class, populating a double integer field with a range values (numbers reflecting bicycle compatibility, low to high), adding the feature class to the Natural Neighbor environment and setting the Z values to my bicycle compatibility field. 

In your situation, are you receiving an error message?  Just an empty data set?  I'm not the best at trouble-shooting but I can give it shot for ya. 

Cheers,

Tony
0 Kudos