ArcGIS for Android in Android Studio

Jump to solution
05-30-2013 07:02 AM
ManuelPires
New Contributor
Today I downloaded the Android Studio but it seems that there is no way of installing new software as Eclipse does.

I would like to know if there is any way to use the ArcGIS API for Android in this IDE.

Thanks in advance 😉
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanO_Neill
Occasional Contributor III
Android Studio is based on IntelliJ IDEA IDE.  You can add plugins to the IDE as you can with Eclipse.  Although we do not provide an Android Studio specific plugin you can use the SDK/API by following the steps provided in this blog post.  We are looking to provide improved workflows in our upcoming release to be used with the ever increasing number of supported Android development IDE's.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanO_Neill
Android Studio is based on IntelliJ IDEA IDE.  You can add plugins to the IDE as you can with Eclipse.  Although we do not provide an Android Studio specific plugin you can use the SDK/API by following the steps provided in this blog post.  We are looking to provide improved workflows in our upcoming release to be used with the ever increasing number of supported Android development IDE's.
0 Kudos
ThomasBinu
New Contributor III
Thank you for the reply. I followed the blog post and was able to get the Arcgis sdk to work with Android studio. But the javadoc does not work. I had the same problem with eclipse. I am using Arcgis sdk v 10.1.1.
0 Kudos
DanO_Neill
The issue with the javadoc not working in Eclipse is a known issue that we have already fixed and will be included with the next release.

To attach the javadoc to Android Studio you need to do the following:

1. Open the Project Structure dialog and select Modules > Your Project

2. Under Export select the ArcGIS_Android global library

3. Click the Edit icon from the bottom tool icons

4. Click the Plus button and select Attach Files or Directories...

5. Browse to the Javadoc jar file and open it to reference and click OK. 

You should see the Javadoc listed under Javadocs in the Configure Global Library dialog as shown below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24837[/ATTACH]

Now when you are in the Java source editor place the cursor inside the class or method and select CTRL + Q on win & *nix.  On Mac OS select CTRL + J.  The output is below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24838[/ATTACH]

I will look to update the IntelliJ blog post for javadoc viewing in line with code.
0 Kudos
DavidBrowning
New Contributor

Hi, have you any ideas on how to add the ArcGIS android javadocs to Android Studio 0.8.13?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
ThomasBinu
New Contributor III
The issue with the javadoc not working in Eclipse is a known issue that we have already fixed and will be included with the next release.

To attach the javadoc to Android Studio you need to do the following:

1. Open the Project Structure dialog and select Modules > Your Project

2. Under Export select the ArcGIS_Android global library

3. Click the Edit icon from the bottom tool icons

4. Click the Plus button and select Attach Files or Directories...

5. Browse to the Javadoc jar file and open it to reference and click OK. 

You should see the Javadoc listed under Javadocs in the Configure Global Library dialog as shown below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24837[/ATTACH]

Now when you are in the Java source editor place the cursor inside the class or method and select CTRL + Q on win & *nix.  On Mac OS select CTRL + J.  The output is below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24838[/ATTACH]

I will look to update the IntelliJ blog post for javadoc viewing in line with code.

Thank you. But can you specify the path to the Java doc file. I am unable to find it.
0 Kudos
ThomasBinu
New Contributor III
I found the path to the Javadoc
ArcGISAndroidSDK_v10.1.1\plugins\com.esri.arcgis.android.doc_10.1.1.201301161115\doc\api\reference
0 Kudos
PeifanLi
New Contributor
Thank you for the reply. I followed the blog post and was able to get the Arcgis sdk to work with Android studio. But the javadoc does not work. I had the same problem with eclipse. I am using Arcgis sdk v 10.1.1.

how did you do it? i couldnt find  a post talk about it
0 Kudos