Large tile packages not displaying in latest SDK

Jump to solution
05-28-2013 11:14 AM
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III
We're building an application that loads large (3GB+) tile package from the app's iTunes documents directory.  In our apps developed using the latest version of the SDK the app fails to open the large .tpk file and displays a white screen.

I'm throwing errors to NSLog when running the app in the simulator and it is returning:
Domain=com.Esri.ArcGIS.ErrorDomain Code=10003 "Failed to open file. May not be a valid tile package." UserInfo=0x9ac7850 {NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to open file. May not be a valid tile package.

At the same time - a smaller .tpk file packaged from the same tile cache will display correctly (~300mb in size).  Both tile packages were built on the same computer using 10.1

Has anyone else observed this behavior?  Any tips?

Thanks

-Mike
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDavis3
Yep it's fixed.  Currently using 18GB+ TPK files with no issues whatsoever.

-Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MichaelDavis3
Additional note - have tested and confirmed that these .tpk files do work with apps compiled with earlier versions of the SDK.  Have tested on apps compiled with v2.3

-Mike
0 Kudos
ShiminCai
I had exactly the same problem. My SDK version is not the latest one but 10.1.1. I have to constraint my tile packages within 2gb in size. I think there might be an extent limitation too...

Shimin
0 Kudos
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
Mike, Shimin -

Would it be possible for you to share your tilepackages with us so that we can investigate? I would need your email ids so that I can send you instructions on how to upload your data.

Out of curiosity, how are you getting the packages on the device? Are you using iTunes File sharing? or are you including the tile package within the application bundle using XCode? FWIW, we've noticed that the latter is a little unreliable and that XCode corrupts some large files while packaging them within the application.
0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
We use a small default tile package baked into the application, and then side load the larger package through iTunes.  I've tried swapping the larger cache in as the version included in the .ipa but it didn't make any difference.

Will send you my email so we can transfer you a copy of the .tpk files

-Mike
0 Kudos
ShiminCai
I tried both packaging the tpk with the ipa and adding it to the Documents folder via iTunes and there were no differences. I also tested my tpks with esri's LocalTiledLayer sample on the iPad simulator and observed the same results that if they can be displayed both my app and the sample are able to display them, otherwise they can't be displayed on both apps...

The tpks were generated using the same mxd in ArcMap 10.1. I had to reduce the map extent in order to generate a tpk within 2gb in size. The tpk that can't be displayed on devices/simulator can be displayed in ArcMap without any problem...

My email address: shimin.cai@fcnsw.com.au

Shimin
0 Kudos
JoshWhitman
New Contributor
I have the same problem.  Building with 10.1.1 (original or Update 1) I get a white screen. When I replace my tpk with a smaller one (100MB), no problem.  Reverted to SDK 2.3 and it works fine.  The large tpk is about 9GB.

Thanks for posting this.  I wouldn't have thought to revert to 2.3 if I hadn't read your post and confirmed the behavior you described.
0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Curious if there has been any progress figuring out why .tpk files larger than 2GB can't display using the iOS SDK.  This issue is having a serious impact on the apps we produce.

Also - we've been detecting some pretty steady memory leaks from tile extraction processes when using .tpk files in the 10.1.1 SDK.

-Mike
0 Kudos
ShiminCai
Curious if there has been any progress figuring out why .tpk files larger than 2GB can't display using the iOS SDK.  This issue is having a serious impact on the apps we produce.

Also - we've been detecting some pretty steady memory leaks from tile extraction processes when using .tpk files in the 10.1.1 SDK.

-Mike

I uploaded my tpks to esri but haven't heard anything back from esri so far... Shimin
0 Kudos
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor
FYI:
This issue is still under investigation.

Potential workaround:
You could split up your target layer area into smaller areas in ArcMap, and create separate .tpks for each smaller area. Each .tpk would be accessed individually, so not all .tpks could be shown on the map at the same time.

One way to do this would be to use the "Split" tool (Analysis Tools >> Extract >> Split), and create new distinct polygons based on geographic factors. Another method would be make use of the "Cut Polygons Tool". This tool is enabled in "Edit" mode of ArcMap, and lets you interactively set the endpoints to cut one polygon into two.

Documentation on Splitting a polygon:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01m800000024000000
0 Kudos