AnsweredAssumed Answered

10.1 SP1 Map Service loadBalancing property

Question asked by bcevans on May 25, 2013
Latest reply on May 27, 2013 by bcevans
In poking around the Server Administration API I found that for a map service there are (allegedly) two values for the loadBalancing property: ROUND_ROBIN and FAIL_OVER. Round Robin is the default and I understand what that does but I haven't found an explanation of what the Fail Over value actually does.

So I figured I'd just try it out and watch the service statistics to see what happens. When I try to change that value to FAIL_OVER (using the Server Admin Directory page) I get this message: Load Balancing should be one of the following values : 'ROUND_ROBIN,STICKY,RANDOM'.

Our site has all its map services in one cluster of two machines. We're using the Web Adaptor and the servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2.

The Server Admin API page makes no mention of STICKY or RANDOM. Are the values different because we're using the Web Adaptor? Does anyone know what these values actually do in terms of calls to a map service? I searched around but only found information for load balancing hardware/software, nothing related to Server 10.1.

Thanks,

Bryan

Outcomes