Joining one attribute from one shp to another

05-22-2013 08:12 AM
mileslayne
New Contributor
I have two separate files, one is Manholes, and the other is Sewer Lines. I have a Field in the Manholes attribute table that i created called Seg_ID. Now All of my points (manholes) are snapped onto the sewer lines. Each sewer line is label SL_1, SL_2, SL_3 etc etc... How can i get the field in the manholes file to automatically say which sewer line each point is on in the Seg_ID field?

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Have you tried a spatial join?
0 Kudos
mileslayne
New Contributor
I have tried a spatial join, i thought it worked, but what happens is that since my manholes are snapped to the sewer lines it messes things up. I found that if my manholes is snapped at an "T" intersection it makes three copies of the manhole, It says manhole 3 is on SL_54, SL_57,and SL_63 those are just examples. So it takes my 1375 manholes and Turns them into 1800+ manholes.
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you please let us know what parameter values you are using? Especially, these ones:

Join Operation
Keep All Target Features (checked? unchecked?)
Match Option

When a manhole is snapped to a T-section then the manhole actually belongs to all of the three, no? In that case, how do you want to determine the sewer line it should belong to?
0 Kudos
mileslayne
New Contributor
Target features are manholes, join features are sewer line.
1 to many join operation. Check keep all target features. I don't care what line the manhole is on, the software can choose any one
it wants for all i care. I just don't need it to make triples every time a manhole is at an intersection
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Most probably you are using INTERSECT option. Use CLOSEST match option instead - only 1 will be chosen as join feature.
0 Kudos
mileslayne
New Contributor
I am fairly sure that worked, thanks alot for the help!

Miles,
0 Kudos