Could not find resource or operation 'MAP_Definition.MapServer' on the system

05-22-2013 06:20 AM
BenStewart
New Contributor III
We have just installed ArcGIS Server 10.1 on a server outside our firewall, and I am trying to publish my first .sd

The wizard appears to go well, but, in the end, an error appears: Could not find resource or operation 'SAWI_Ganges_GeoWB_Test.MapServer' on the system.

I gather that the ArcGIS Server Manager cannot create, or cannot fine the .MapServer file. What I cannot figure out is why it can't or how to fix it.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
I found the following errors in the log files:

The license edition of the server does not permit running and administering the service 'SAWI_Ganges_GeoWB_Test'.

Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80040204 : This is a FACILITY_ITF error that is specific to the interface that returned this error. See the documentation of the interface that returned this error for information about this HRESULT.
Tags (2)
5 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Did you license the Basic edition?

I think that you need Standard or Advanced.
0 Kudos
BenStewart
New Contributor III
What is it that I cannot publish with Basic (you are correct that we have Basic)? I have looked at the matrix functionality below and I don't think I am doing anything outside the realm of Basic. That being said, we need advanced eventually...

http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-server-functionality-matrix.pdf
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I found the matrix to be confusing.

I do not believe that you can create map services using Basic.  I believe that what you can create is feature services.
0 Kudos
BenStewart
New Contributor III
Wow, are you sure? I don't see anything to indicate that in the Matrix, but I could believe it is true.

Is it possible to publish a feature service to ArcGIS Server Basic 10.1 through the web manager? I have not seen anything about it, and most references to publishing Feature Services say to simply check the box when publishing a Map Service.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/85107-Could-not-find-resource-or-operation-MAP_Definition.MapServer...

"At 10.1, ArcGIS Server Basic edition will include more functionality - as described in the pre-UC 2011 Q&A answer above. ArcGIS Server Basic edition will have a new capability to do simple web mapping via feature services."

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/37736-Basic-Edition?highlight=basic

"With Enterprise Basic at 10.1 there will be an additional component available that will allow you to create Feature Services from your data. There are many differences between the license levels, but all license levels will contain this component called the Spatial Data Server. The only function of SDS is to publish Feature Services.

With ArcGIS Server Standard you get the ability to publish Geocoding Services, Geoprocessing Services, Map Services, Cached Map Services, OGC Services, etc.."

This is obvious if you try to say use ArcCatalog to publish a service.  I know this because I create a VM a while back, authorized Basic, and then tried it myself.
0 Kudos