Service 'California' of type 'MapServer' does not exist or is inaccessible.

06-19-2010 01:57 PM
NoureddineEl-zaatari
New Contributor
Arcgis Server 9.3.1

Service Type: pooled
Web access: Enabled

im clearing the rest cache manually, and getting the MapServer listed, but when accessing it, im getting the following error

Service 'California' of type 'MapServer' does not exist or is inaccessible.

any idea ??

Please esri help..
0 Kudos
14 Replies
NoureddineEl-zaatari
New Contributor
any updates on this please ??
0 Kudos
VasylMelnychuk
New Contributor
May you add details from restlog.txt?
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Noureddine,

Any error messages/exceptions reported in restlog.txt will be helpful to identify the cause of this behavior. Also check the ArcGIS Server log to see if there are any error messages.

What is the type of data (shapefile, file geodatabase, sde features/raster?) is  used in this map? Is this service accessible via ArcMap?

Try to simplify the map document by removing layers to identify if there is a particular layer/data that is causing this behavior.

Thanks
Ravi
0 Kudos
NoureddineEl-zaatari
New Contributor
hello,

i do not have restlog.txt located ?? anyway i created restlong.txt in the rest directory and ran the webapplications post install, tired browsing the rest service, nothing is being written in the log.

i found many of this in the ArcGIS Server Log:

<Msg time='2010-06-21T17:41:36' type='ERROR' code='100005' target='California.MapServer' methodName='MapServer.GetTileCacheInfo' machine='purehate' process='1868' thread='3548' elapsed='0.00012'>Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80004005 : Unspecified error  .</Msg>

curried on investigation,,

the datasource is filegeodatabse , i removed all the layers from the map and kept on a single point featureclass layer..

the MapServer works fine, only the rest is not.

i really appreciate ur help
0 Kudos
PaulBushore
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

So, can you see the map image using another method?  In ArcMap or via a .NET application?  Make certain that you can see the map image when you access the REST's export image method from the services page:

http://server/ArcGIS/rest/services/

Then browse to the map service that you are wanting then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "Export Map" link.  This should bring up some information of your map service as well as an image.  This will show us that the map service is functioning.

If the above does work, you may need to provide us with some more information about your installation of the software.  Such as operating system and if the installation is all on one machine or distributed.

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Some additional suggestions --

The failure with methodName='MapServer.GetTileCacheInfo', indicates that MapServer is unable to get the cache configuration for thismapservice.  Please make sure the cache directory/virtual directory and the cache are setup correctly and is accessible to the map service.

To eliminate this issue to be the cause of the failure in REST, can you try creating a new MapService, with 1 layer and not enable caching for the new service to see if it works in REST?

if the cache directory for the "California" MapService is accessed via UNC path, you can also try setting up REST with fixed identity as described in the KB article. This will elimiate if there are issues for REST to access the cache directory.
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=36887

Thanks
Ravi
0 Kudos
NoureddineEl-zaatari
New Contributor
in fact the service is not cached..its a dynamic map service,,

i forgot mentioning something very important, im publishing map on the fly through a webserivce, the map is published with no problem, shows in ADF map control, but rest is causing problem, is there anything im missing ??

if i publish map through Arccatalog or Server Manager everything works fine.

the MapServer configuration that is generated when i publish on the fly is identical when i pulblish through catalog or Server Manager..im pasting the MapServer.cfg file.

does the rest depend on any Extension ?? because when im publishing maps on the fly, im setting properties of any extension..

thank you for any suggestions or help

<ServerObjectConfiguration>

<Description>Map Description</Description>

<Properties>
  <FilePath>D:\Maps\California.mxd</FilePath>
  <OutputDir>\\PUREHATE\arcgisoutput</OutputDir>
  <VirtualOutputDir>http://purehate/arcgisoutput</VirtualOutputDir>
  <MaxImageHeight>2048</MaxImageHeight>
  <MaxRecordCount>500</MaxRecordCount>
  <MaxBufferCount>100</MaxBufferCount>
  <SupportedImageReturnTypes>URL</SupportedImageReturnTypes>
  <IsCached>false</IsCached>
  <CacheOnDemand>false</CacheOnDemand>
  <IgnoreCache>false</IgnoreCache>
  <ClientCachingAllowed>true</ClientCachingAllowed>
  <CacheDir>c:\arcgisserver\arcgiscache\California</CacheDir>
  <SOMCacheDir>c:\arcgisserver\arcgiscache</SOMCacheDir>
</Properties>

<Extension>
  <TypeName>KmlServer</TypeName>
  <Enabled>false</Enabled>
  <Properties>
   <ImageSize>1024</ImageSize>
   <Composite>true</Composite>
   <Dpi>96</Dpi>
   <UseNetworkLinkControlTag>false</UseNetworkLinkControlTag>
   <MinRefreshPeriod>30</MinRefreshPeriod>
   <LinkDescription></LinkDescription>
   <LinkName></LinkName>
   <Message></Message>
   <UseDefaultSnippets>false</UseDefaultSnippets>
   <EndPointURL>http://purehate/ArcGIS/services/Californiasdf/MapServer</EndPointURL>
  </Properties>
  <Info>
   <WebEnabled>true</WebEnabled>
   <WebCapabilities>SingleImage,SeparateImages,Vectors</WebCapabilities>
  </Info>
</Extension>

<Extension>
  <TypeName>MobileServer</TypeName>
  <Enabled>false</Enabled>
  <Properties>
  </Properties>
  <Info>
  </Info>
</Extension>

<Extension>
  <TypeName>NAServer</TypeName>
  <Enabled>false</Enabled>
  <Properties>
  </Properties>
  <Info>
  </Info>
</Extension>

<Extension>
  <TypeName>WCSServer</TypeName>
  <Enabled>false</Enabled>
  <Properties>
  </Properties>
  <Info>
  </Info>
</Extension>

<Extension>
  <TypeName>WFSServer</TypeName>
  <Enabled>false</Enabled>
  <Properties>
  </Properties>
  <Info>
  </Info>
</Extension>

<Extension>
  <TypeName>WMSServer</TypeName>
  <Enabled>false</Enabled>
  <Properties>
  </Properties>
  <Info>
  </Info>
</Extension>

<Recycling>
  <Start>00:00</Start>
  <Interval>86400</Interval>
</Recycling>

<Info>
  <WebCapabilities>Map,Query,Data</WebCapabilities>
  <WebEnabled>true</WebEnabled>
</Info>

<IsPooled>true</IsPooled>
<MinInstances>1</MinInstances>
<MaxInstances>2</MaxInstances>
<InstancesPerContainer>1</InstancesPerContainer>
<WaitTimeout>60</WaitTimeout>
<IdleTimeout>-1</IdleTimeout>
<UsageTimeout>600</UsageTimeout>
<CleanupTimeout>30</CleanupTimeout>
<StartupTimeout>300</StartupTimeout>
<Isolation>high</Isolation>
<StartupType>automatic</StartupType>

</ServerObjectConfiguration>
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
in fact the service is not cached..its a dynamic map service,,

i forgot mentioning something very important, im publishing map on the fly through a webserivce, the map is published with no problem, shows in ADF map control, but rest is causing problem, is there anything im missing ??

if i publish map through Arccatalog or Server Manager everything works fine.

Are you checking the service in REST programatically or checking it manually after after it is started?

if the check is made programatically, after starting the service, make sure that it takes in to account the startup time for the service. Make sure the REST cache is cleared before ccessing the MapService. Also check if the service is accessible via REST Services Directory.

You mention that the same Map works when the service is created to ArcCatalog or Manager. this indicates that the map or data associated with the map is not the cause of this issue.
0 Kudos
openwarecompany
New Contributor
thank you guys for the great support, i got it working finally, its something related to publishing the map, some extensions although not enabled, but their info and properties have got to be set to some values, not all the extension some of them, i really dunno why, but it works for me know,,

i again thank you for your spontaneous support,
0 Kudos