Photo's

05-21-2013 06:41 AM
RichardCitkowicz
New Contributor III
So we are using AGO and it's working great in the field. During our collections we are taking pictures. Few things?

In Explorer Online are there any ways to view the attachments taken in the field? I am able to view them in the ArcGIS.com Map Viewer but the experience in Explorer is much better.
Is there any way to have the photo downloadable along with the EXIF information or the file associated with the point or any other FC just like you can view it in the Map Viewer popup?
If there anyway you can rotate the image why viewing it without having to download it?

Any comments or suggestions would help!?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Explorer Online downloads the entire image and displays it as a thumbnail. Ideally, we'd generate thumbnails of uploaded photos so they can be viewed without a large download. Presently, arcgis.com requires a download to view the image.

Where is your feature service running? Is it a hosted feature service or ArcGIS Server feature service? One point worth mentioning is that attachments to feature services are stored as blobs in the database. If you're using a hosted feature service, the current credit consumption rate is 2.4 credits per 10 MB per month. Typically, the geometry of features doesn't take up that much space. However, when you start adding photo attachments, you can quickly enlarge the amount of database storage you consume. Consider many mobile devices take pictures at 2MB in size or larger.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
CharlesBarton
New Contributor
Thanks for the information Mike. 

Is there any way to download all of the images from the feature service after the data has been collected in the field?  I am hoping to find a way that will not require individual downloading and indexing of the photos.

Thanks for your help,
Trip Barton
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Exporting all the attachments from feature services is not available at this time. This is something we're working on for the future...perhaps towards the end of the year.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
RichardCitkowicz
New Contributor III
Thanks, so we are now going to do the job twice. Once in the field, and again during a rainy day, download the image to a local ftp and name it with the a unique name which can quickly identify the image and point (like the name of the place) and field calculate the ftp URL along with the name already in the attribute table, remove spaces, and now i have a link with the image assocated with it. One hell of a workaround but that is our next step..... any other suggestions.
0 Kudos
RichardCitkowicz
New Contributor III
Thanks for the information Mike. 

Is there any way to download all of the images from the feature service after the data has been collected in the field?  I am hoping to find a way that will not require individual downloading and indexing of the photos.

Thanks for your help,
Trip Barton

This would be great.....
0 Kudos