Closest Facility with varying Attribute Parameters

Jump to solution
05-21-2013 12:23 AM
SebastianStey
New Contributor II
Good Morning!

I want to solve the following situation:
- I've got a network dataset (including max. possible vehicle height) covering my area of interest
- There is an Incident
- There are several vehicles (with different vehicle height)
- I want to identify the vehicle that can reach the Incident earliest (only using streets that it can traverse considering its vehicle height)

In general, I'd use a "Closest Facility Analysis" to solve this. Choosing my Incident as only Incident of the analysis layer, the vehicles as facilities. Furthermore, I would make the max. possible height/vehicle height a parameterized attribute.

However, as far as I understand, now I can only choose one value for actual vehicle height. What I really would want to do is to define the vehicle height by a field of the facilities. So that for each Facility (i.e., for each vehicle) its individual height is considered.

Is this possible with a single Closest Facility Analysis?
Or do I have to solve several Closest Facility Analyses?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
Very interesting use case!  I have seen similar workflows that include different types of vehicles that have different speeds or different abilities to handle road slopes.

To support your ideas, you will need to do multiple solves.  There is not currently a way to vary attribute parameters within one solve.  The parameter is a solver wide variable, as opposed to being specific to a given facility.

Solve one Closest Facility for each of your sets of vehicle types.  Then, compare the results and choose the vehicle that arrived the quickest.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
Very interesting use case!  I have seen similar workflows that include different types of vehicles that have different speeds or different abilities to handle road slopes.

To support your ideas, you will need to do multiple solves.  There is not currently a way to vary attribute parameters within one solve.  The parameter is a solver wide variable, as opposed to being specific to a given facility.

Solve one Closest Facility for each of your sets of vehicle types.  Then, compare the results and choose the vehicle that arrived the quickest.
0 Kudos
SebastianStey
New Contributor II
Bummer!

Looking forward to seeing it in a future release 🙂
0 Kudos