New to GIS and need help!!

05-09-2013 12:28 PM
carlaavila
New Contributor
Hello there,

I'm trying to convert from raster to vector using the raster to polygon tool but I keep getting an error (000864). It says that the input is not in the defined domain and I'm not sure what that means. Do I have to do another conversion before this one?

thank you,

im extremely new to arcmap.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
YamMagar
New Contributor II
Hello,
Have you tried looking at Results under Geoprocessing ?
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hello there,

I'm trying to convert from raster to vector using the raster to polygon tool but I keep getting an error (000864). It says that the input is not in the defined domain and I'm not sure what that means. Do I have to do another conversion before this one?

thank you,

im extremely new to arcmap.

Hi Carla,

As Milan indicates you should have a look at the error description, which you can access through the Menu "Geoprocessing", option "Results". This will open the Results Window which lists the Geoprocessing tools and any errors that may have occurred. Expand the tool that generated the error and below expand the "Messages". See an example below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27293[/ATTACH]

This will reveal the error and provides a link to the Help on that error. In your case (in 10.2) 000864 will point to:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00vp00000012000864

000864 : <value>: The input is not within the defined domain. <value>.

Description
The specified input is not valid for the parameter. You might have tried to use a value for the parameter that is not one of the defined options or is not a valid type or perhaps made a typing error. The command syntax will identify the valid options for each function. For example, the options for the Filter type parameter are only LOW or HIGH. No other text string will be accepted.

Solution
Check the syntax and documentation to make sure you are specifying the command correctly and that the input types are valid.

In order to help you, we will need to know what data you used for this tool.

Kind regards,

Xander
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
It says that the input is not in the defined domain and I'm not sure what that means.

When I hear "domain" I think coordinate system. My guess is that the raster/layer you are working with does not have a define spatial reference (coordinate system). Go to the layer properties see if it has a defined spatial reference. If not, find out from a colleague what coordinate system you should be working in and set it at that. Also, check the properties of your dataframe and make sure it has a defined spatial reference. Also, sometimes certain functions/tools don't seem to work unless you save the mxd.
0 Kudos