How to get back "Edit with IDLE" in Right-Click Menu

05-09-2013 05:29 AM
MarcCusumano
Occasional Contributor
So I installed the 64-bit background geoprocessing service along with SP1 and all of my scripts broke (and python thought I was running an AMD64 when I am running Intel). So after uninstalling my machine no longer associated .py files with IDLE. I used the Windows "Default Programs" control to make the association, but I still don't have the option in the drop-down. IDLE opens when I double click a.py file (the icon has no image).

I've spent hours trying to get this to work and searching everywhere. Would appreciate any help. Also, what changes need to be made to work with 64-bit background geoprocessing? Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ThaiTruong
Occasional Contributor II
Try to add this reg key to your system:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE\command]
@="\"C:\\Python26\\ArcGIS10.0\\pythonw.exe\" \"C:\\Python26\\ArcGIS10.0\\Lib\\idlelib\\idle.pyw\" -n -e \"%1\""

Hope it helps!

PS. I'm still using ArcGIS 10.0
0 Kudos
ThaiTruong
Here is the key for 10.1 with Python 2.7:

@="\"C:\\Python27\\ArcGIS10.1\\pythonw.exe\" \"C:\\Python27\\ArcGIS10.1\\Lib\\idlelib\\idle.pyw\" -e \"%1\""
0 Kudos
MarcCusumano
Occasional Contributor
Here is the key for 10.1 with Python 2.7:

@="\"C:\\Python27\\ArcGIS10.1\\pythonw.exe\" \"C:\\Python27\\ArcGIS10.1\\Lib\\idlelib\\idle.pyw\" -e \"%1\""

Put this in a .reg file and ran it - restarted OS, no luck. : - / Checked the paths too...is it supposed to be a specific type? (String Value, Binary Value, DWORD...?) Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
ThaiTruong
It's just a string value, named "(Default)".

Actually I exported that out from my box.  Worst-case scenario, I think you need to re-install Python from the Installation Disc to get it back from your right click context menu.
0 Kudos