ArcGis Online

05-07-2013 03:41 PM
KathyStewart
New Contributor
Wondering if I can use the subject application to create a google-earth-like image of a particular Section, Township, and Range in a particular county in a state.

I'd like to draw a line around this perimeter.

Then, within that perimeter, once I can see forests (versus roads, waterbodies, etc), I want to draw a polygon around the forests.

Can this be done with arcGIS online?  I am using an Ipad.

Thanks

Edit:I have figured out how to draw the perimeter and everything, I just can't locate the specific PLSS within a certain county.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II
PLSS layers for your specific area may not be a published map service. Some government agencies seem to publish some GIS layers but a lot of them do not. There could be some state agency that published a statewide PLSS layer, they are available, generally in shapefile format. But the published services you can attach to via the AGOL can be hard to find, you have to know the specific URL addess of the published service.

A possible workaround, maybe a little clumsy but should work, is to add in the ESRI map service for USA Topo into your online map, which are the USGS Topographic maps. They do have section lines on them once you are zoomed down in far enough. You could use that to target your area, then turn that off and the aerial back on and go to tracing your forested areas.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos