Transferring from layer to shapefile

Jump to solution
05-06-2013 07:09 AM
GuyCunningham
New Contributor
I created a layer file with multiple lines, and I need to create new fields for those lines. I decided to create a new shapefile with the necessary fields. How do I transfer the data from my layer file into the new shapefile? There are 500-1,000 lines in the layer file so recreating the entire file would be excruciatingly tedious.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
None of this sounds right. 

Use the layer file to determine the origin of the shapefile.  Then import that shape file directly and export it as the new shape file and add your fields.

The file instantly showed up in ArcMap. I restarted ArcCatalog in order to see it but could not change the field data.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Why not simply add the new attributes to the original shapefle.  Or if you should not do that make a copy of the original shape file and simply add the new attributes.

If those are not an option and you have not already added data to the new attribute simply use the data loader in ArcCatalog to load the original data into the new shapefile.

I created a layer file with multiple lines, and I need to create new fields for those lines. I decided to create a new shapefile with the necessary fields. How do I transfer the data from my layer file into the new shapefile? There are 500-1,000 lines in the layer file so recreating the entire file would be excruciatingly tedious.
0 Kudos
GuyCunningham
New Contributor
My original file is in layer form. Can I still add fields from there?
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
A layer file really isn't a feature class. It is a pointer to the feature class and the desired symbology for that feature.

So when you open that layer file it will point to the original feature the layer file represents.

Open the layer file and export it as a shape file or to a database if you are uncertain about disposition of the feature.

Also, when you open the layer file you can click on list by source and see where the feature actually is. 

My original file is in layer form. Can I still add fields from there?
0 Kudos
GuyCunningham
New Contributor
That worked! Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
GuyCunningham
New Contributor
Alas, I spoke too soon. When I converted to a shapefile, the properties no longer allow me to add fields (as I would do with any other shapefile). Is it now possible to transfer data between shapefiles?
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
When you exported the shape file did it add it back to your session.

Try adding the fields in ArcCatalog

Alas, I spoke too soon. When I converted to a shapefile, the properties no longer allow me to add fields (as I would do with any other shapefile). Is it now possible to transfer data between shapefiles?
0 Kudos
GuyCunningham
New Contributor
The file instantly showed up in ArcMap. I restarted ArcCatalog in order to see it but could not change the field data.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
None of this sounds right. 

Use the layer file to determine the origin of the shapefile.  Then import that shape file directly and export it as the new shape file and add your fields.

0 Kudos