Can i run ArcGIS application without runtime licenses

05-03-2013 12:36 AM
Labels (1)
SuryaPanditaradhya
New Contributor
Hi All,

Need to know about the possibilities of running ArcGiS application without using run-time licenses. Just for some internal testing i want to run my ArcGiS application. I have tried copying the ESRI dlls which are referred by the application into a local folder and added reference from that local folder. If i try to run my application from ".exe" file, then my application crashes even before launching the application.I have tried to open the solution and build, i am getting some properties not found error.

Please let me know if there is some way to run the application and should i need to go for runtime license.

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidMartin
Occasional Contributor II
All the information you should need to know can be found under the "Licensing and Deploying Applications" section of this url:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/runtime-wpf/concepts/index.html#//017000000031000000

Assuming you have an EDN subscription, then you will have already authorised your software for development purposes on your machine. You can now use the "License Viewer" tool that comes with your installation of the SDK (access it from the Start menu) to get the appropriate license code for a Testing scenario. This provides you with code that needs to be pasted into Application.xaml.cs in your solution. You'll then need to rebuild a release copy of your solution which you can deploy according to the instructions in the above link (which also involves using the Deployment Builder tool). With a Test deployment, every time a user fires up your application, they will get a message to remind them that it is only for test purposes.

To use a Deployment license, you'll need to have bought a pack of 25 Standard Deployment licenses from your local distributor UNLESS your code doesn't use much by way of local services and is able to run on a free Basic Deployment license - which can be obtained from your Customer Care portal.

Whichever type of deployment license you wish to use, you'll need to run the Software Authorisation Wizard again (that comes with your installation of the SDK), and provide it with your deployment license string, so as to ensure that you're then able to get the necessary code out of the License Viewer tool, before following the same deployment process as before.

Simple, eh(?!)
0 Kudos
AnkitaBhatia
New Contributor III
Hi,
Could anyone tell if there is a change in the Deployment and licensing from SDK 1.0 to SDK 10.1.1 ??
I am using SDK 1.0 and have been trying to follow steps from the above link (which explains it for 10.2), but it does not work :(.
If not, could I be missing something?
0 Kudos
AnkitaBhatia
New Contributor III
If it helps I am getting the following in the error Log for the .NetRuntime
Application: WpfApplication27.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Local.LocalServerException
Stack:
at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Local.LocalFeatureService.GetServiceAsyncInternal(System.String, System.Nullable`1<Int32>, System.Action`1<ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Local.LocalFeatureService>)
at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Local.ArcGISLocalFeatureLayer.Initialize()
at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Map.OnApplyTemplate()
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.ApplyTemplate()
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.MeasureCore(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.UIElement.Measure(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureCell(Int32, Boolean)
at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureCellsGroup(Int32, System.Windows.Size, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef)
at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureCellsGroup(Int32, System.Windows.Size, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at MS.Internal.Helper.MeasureElementWithSingleChild(System.Windows.UIElement, System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter.MeasureOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Documents.AdornerDecorator.MeasureOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.Border.MeasureOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Window.MeasureOverrideHelper(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Window.MeasureOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.SetLayoutSize()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.set_RootVisualInternal(System.Windows.Media.Visual)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.set_RootVisual(System.Windows.Media.Visual)
at System.Windows.Window.SetRootVisual()
at System.Windows.Window.SetRootVisualAndUpdateSTC()
at System.Windows.Window.SetupInitialState(Double, Double, Double, Double)
at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindow(Boolean)
at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindowDuringShow()
at System.Windows.Window.SafeCreateWindowDuringShow()
at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
at WpfApplication27.App.Main()
0 Kudos
DavidMartin
Occasional Contributor II
I'm guessing you're saying that this error only occurs when you deploy your application? And that it doesn't occur in your development environment? If that's the case, then the fact that it's being thrown by a local service is probably indicative of your having opted for a basic license (which won't support local services) instead of a standard license. I'd check the choices you made in the License Viewer, and hence the license code snippet that you've compiled into your application.
0 Kudos
AnkitaBhatia
New Contributor III
Hi,
I re-checked and the license type selected for generating key for Test Deployment is Standard license. 😞
I have been stuck with this for a few days now and unable to figure a way out.
0 Kudos
AnkitaBhatia
New Contributor III
Hi,
Finally got this working :).
The problem was platform, for 64-bit machine the platform of the deployed application should be x64.
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/61775-Deployment-Issue
Once done, worked like a charm. 🙂
Thanks!
0 Kudos