Web editing in 10.1

04-30-2013 10:33 AM
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
I am reviewing the "What's new in ArcGIS for Server 10.1" Help page, and have a question regarding web editing. The help page states (in the last paragraph)
Within web ADF applications, you cannot make local or Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) connections to 10.1 sites. Local connections were previously used for the purposes of web editing and working with fine-grained ArcObjects. At ArcGIS 10.1 for Server, ArcObjects can be used to extend the server through Server Object Extensions (SOEs) without the need for a local connection. If you want to build a web editing application, you can use feature services in conjunction with the ArcGIS web APIs, the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex, and the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight.
Does this mean that if a web application is built using the new "ArcGIS Web Applications Manager", web editing is not an option, but only if built using an API?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Barry,

From the help found here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000002p0000000

At version 10.1, ArcGIS Server Manager is solely focused on hosting and administering services. It does not build web applications. If you want to build a GIS web application without having to write code, you can use the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex or the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight. These now include interactive application builders that allow you to design a web app by pointing and clicking on the features you want, very similar to the way you built web apps with Manager in previous releases.
If you want to share your maps on the web without building and hosting a full application, you can use the ArcGIS.com map viewer. This is an online canvas for creating and sharing a web service-based map online. To get started, visit ArcGIS.com and click Map.
The Web Application Developer Framework (ADF) that shipped with previous versions of ArcGIS Server is deprecated, and developers should use the ArcGIS web APIs (for JavaScript, Flex, and Silverlight) when writing new web applications. Printing, editing, and other tasks previously accomplished through the ADF are now readily available using the ArcGIS web APIs.
The ADF continues to ship with ArcGIS 10.1 for Server as a separate setup named ArcGIS Web Applications. This exists solely for the purpose of supporting legacy applications. The setup includes ArcGIS Web Applications Manager, a legacy version of Manager that allows you to view and modify your web applications.

Reading that I would suggest that the answer is that editing through web ADF is no longer an option

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
Thanks very much, Anthony.

But, I must state that I am already not becoming a fan of 10.1. I have been playing with developing web applications (with Server 10.0) using the Javascript API, which does create very nice applications and has a variety of useful dijits (dojo widgets), but liked the fact that the ArcGIS Server Manager is much simpler to build web applications with, therefore quicker, and often fits the purpose of the particular web application for our needs. 😞
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Barry,

Have you had a look at the flex application builder? May suit your needs depending on the type of client your building for, preresiquite is that the client has the flash player plugin installed ( no good for IPad )

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/index.html#/Installation_guide_for_Applicat...

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
I have checked it out a while back, prior to choosing the Javascript API, Anthony. The problem is that I have to develop the ArcGIS web applications from a remote desktop. I, absolutely, cannot work from the server machine, as I am not a part of IT here. Therefore, the Javascript API seemed to fit my needs the best, as it runs on the client machine, and all is needed is a link to the map service of the server within the HTML code.
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Barry,

You should be able to run the flex application from IIS on your local machine and point to services on the remote server. All that needs to be put in place is the cross domain file on the arcgis server to allow flash to talk to it

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
Barry,

You should be able to run the flex application from IIS on your local machine and point to services on the remote server. All that needs to be put in place is the cross domain file on the arcgis server to allow flash to talk to it

Regards

Anthony
That would require the web server (IIS) to be on my machine for testing though, right? See, I cannot have a web server on my machine either.
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Barry,

You can use your PC as a web server very easily (and for free) by just turning on a windows feature through your control panel, see:

http://www.w3schools.com/asp/asp_install.asp

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Good link. Ha! PWS does anybody remember that?
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Barry,

Just to add It is not realistic to run web apps from your local file system so even if you are using the javascript API you should still serve your application from a local web server.

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos