Sociology student needs help! How to compare IDW Interpolation results to crime rates

04-30-2013 08:05 AM
RyanAnderson5
New Contributor
I am a novice to GIS and need some help on which statistical test to run on my data. 

I have created 13 polygons (which are buildings) on one layer.  I used point data (of a social phenomenon) surrounding the buildings and assigned the point data a score of 1-6 depending on their intensity.  I ran an IDW interpolation and came up with a map to show the spatial extent and intensity of this social phenomenon.

I would like know which spatial statistics test I should run to see if my IDW interpolation map is somehow affecting crime rates in my sample area (the crime rates are also point data for each crime event which has occurred over a year in the same sample area).

SOS!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ClarkeBenson
New Contributor
You should go to this place: http://www.researchomatic.com/sociology-research-papers/ where they have a lot of sociology topics, many of which are related to criminology. You can find samples there to get info to help complete your academic paper and you can cite these sources as well.
0 Kudos
AndrewCarter
New Contributor
Are you comparing the social phenomena intensity against some attribute of the crime data points (like severity)?  Or are you just trying to see if crimes are more likely to happen in areas with high or low values of the social phenomena? 

If it's the prior, you can join the raster values at each crime point to a new column in the crime point shapefile then run a regression (either exploratory regression, OLS, or GWR) and see if there's a correlation between the two values.  If it's the latter you could do a LISA cluster analysis and map any resulting HH clusters against the IDW field to see if they tend to fall in high (or low) values of the IDW field.
0 Kudos