Unable to add feature service in AGOL

Jump to solution
04-26-2013 05:24 AM
DeannaIrving
New Contributor III
I have created a feature service in ArcServer Manager 10.1 but am unable to load it into AGOL. (My Content > Add Item > From Web)The error message reads: The feature service does not exist or is inaccessible.

I am however able to load the feature service into Arc Explorer? By that logic, I would assume our firewall is set up correctly.
I have ensured the REST cache is clear and the service has started.

When selecting the service from the REST Services Directory (from an external machine) we can see the feature service loaded into an ArcGIS.com map.

Any insight into this most frustrating dilemma would be extremely helpful.

Thank  you.
Deanna
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DeannaIrving
New Contributor III
Mike,

Solution:

My Organization > Edit Settings > Security > SSL

Disable: Allow access to the organization through SSL only.

Now we're off to the races!

Thanks for your help.
Deanna

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you post the URL to your service here?
Services behind a firewall are not visible to ArcGIS.com. When you say you can add it to Arc Explorer, do you mean ArcGIS Explorer Desktop? If so, this is a program running behind the firewall, so it would be able to see local servers.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Deanna,

Is your GIS Server exposed to the internet or is it internal?
What version of ArcGIS Server are you using?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
DeannaIrving
New Contributor III
We are working from ArcServer 10.1 and our server is exposed to the internet.

I added the feature service to ArcExplorer Online (when I logged in using my global account), however when I logged into ArcExplorer Online using my Organization password for AGOL it could not find the service.

I was on the phone with Tech Support Friday and they were able to load the feature service into AGOL. Now I've been reading some material, do we need to open a new port - 6443?

Thanks,
Deanna
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
If tech support is able to add it, then it seems the problem may be specific to your ability to access it. I am not familiar with the need to open additional ports.

If you take the URL you would typically add to AGOL as an item and simply put it in the address area of your web browser, do you get the page that is the description of the service? If not, then for whatever reason, you don't have access to the service.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
DeannaIrving
New Contributor III
Mike,

I have just tried this....I am able to add the feature service into AGOL if I select Add > Add layers from web ...
When I save the map and open it, I see my feature services overlayed on the esri basemaps. YEAH!

However, I cannot add the feature service from the My Contents page when I select Add Item > On the web...

We plan on adding some editing functionality to our web map and in order to do this, I will need to add the feature service into AGOL, correct?

Thanks,
Deanna
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes, you will need a feature service to do editing in AGOL.

Can you post the URL to your feature service you're trying to add?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks for sending me the link to the service. I'm not sure why you can't add it, as I am able to. Try completely clearing your browser cache and then attempt to add the service again from my content. The add attempt did fail the first time for me, but after that it worked fine. You might ask your server administrator to check the log files to see if any request are failing. Also, try it from another computer or using a different browser.

Just FYI, the URL you sent me is to a map service. You mentioned your desire to support editing and to do so, you need to host a feature service (there's an additional "Feature service" capability you need to check on when you publish the data to your server). Since you are able to add your service directly to the map, given a feature service, you'll be able to edit in the map as well. From an editing perspective, there is no difference between adding the service directly to the map, or adding it to My Content first.

When you add a service as an item to My Content, it means that service can be found via a search. It can also be added to a web map via a search, rather than having the URL. WHen you add a service directly to a web map via a URL, the service is only accessed in that map and is not available for a general search of ArcGIS Online. But, as I said, the service functions exactly the same inside the web map.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
DeannaIrving
New Contributor III
Thanks for all of your help and advice Mike. I did clear the cache - here are the steps we followed. (I.E.10)

Safety > Delete Browsing History. I selected all items and hit Delete.

I also cleared the cache from the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory (home>system>handlers>rest>cache>clear)
Is there somewhere else I should be checking to clear the cache?

I did not realize that you could edit a Feature Service in AGOL when you add it directly to the map....I'll have to try that. Thanks for the insight.

Cheers,
Deanna
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
So, were you able to add the service to My content after clearing your browser cache? I assume not. I don't know why it's not working for you. Does it work from other browsers or from other machines? Try from home, for example.

I'm not sure if this matters, but do you have a proxy configured in IE? Go to Internet Options, Connections tab, then Lan Settings (at least in IE9). Maybe some company proxy is getting in the way?

Mike
0 Kudos