publishing services without Arcgis for Desktop

04-25-2013 07:19 AM
wushuang
New Contributor
I have installed Arcgis for Server 10.1 and I want to publish some services on this server, but I don't have licenses of Arcgis for Desktop. I want to know can I publish a service without Arcgis for Desktop. I know the module Arcpy can build and publish a service, but I didn't find this module in my disc of Arcgis for Server, can I get this module without Arcgis for Desktop?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Wu,

can I publish a service without Arcgis for Desktop. I know the module Arcpy can build and publish a service, but I didn't find this module in my disc of Arcgis for Server, can I get this module without Arcgis for Desktop?

Yes, you can publish existing maps with ArcPy if you only have ArcGIS for Server and don't have ArcGIS for Desktop. However, you cannot author new maps. FYI there is a code sample here:

CreateMapSDDraft (arcpy.mapping)

Hope this helps,
wushuang
New Contributor
Thank you very mush, but I have another problem for this...

I found Arcpy in ~/server/tools and I use the example Publish a map service from a map document (MXD)  (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Example_Publish_a_map_service_from_a_map_d...) to publish my service. I have created a connection file with the example CreateGISServerConnectionFile (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/CreateGISServerConnectionFile/00s300000079...)  and I run the script like this : /opt/arcgis/server/tools/python publishMXD.py.  I have got a error :

wine: Unhandled page fault at address 0x7faf6e7d44b8 (thread 0062), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault in 64-bit code (0x00007faf6e7d44b8).
Register dump:
 rip:00007faf6e7d44b8 rsp:000000000032e0d8 rbp:000000000409d808 eflags:00010202 (  R- --  I   - - - ) ....

I look for this error in Internet but i have got nothing, and I use the same code on Windows, it susses. I'm using Linux SUSE enterprise in a virtual machine.  Did you know what's the problem, may I have some configuration error in my Linux.

Thank you
0 Kudos
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor
What line of your script is it failing on?
0 Kudos
wushuang
New Contributor
arcpy.mapping.CreateMapSDDraft(mapDoc, sddraft, service, 'ARCGIS_SERVER', con, True, None, summary, tags)

This line, it is failing on when i add a communication file ( variable con ) .
0 Kudos
wushuang
New Contributor
I have changed the line by this one and it work...

arcpy.mapping.CreateMapSDDraft(mapDoc, sddraft, service, 'ARCGIS_SERVER')

I have no ideal what's the problem... I have a question, we still use a module wine to similar a environment windows on Arcgis for Server 10.1 ?
0 Kudos
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor
There are some issues with supplying a connection file into CreateMapSdDraft on ArcGIS Server on Linux. I suspect that you are hitting one of these issues. As a workaround, you can supply the connection file when you upload the service:
arcpy.UploadServiceDefinition_server(sd, con)

And yes, ArcGIS Server 10.1 on Linux uses WINE technology.
wushuang
New Contributor
So, we still lose some performance on Arcgis for Server 10.1 (Linux) ?
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Wu,

I believe what Jeff meant was that if you supply the connection file info when you upload the service, you should be fine. There was no implied performance issue with Server 10.1.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
wushuang
New Contributor
Yes, that helps very much! Thank you!
0 Kudos