Newbie help on a general question

04-18-2013 05:04 PM
PeterLen
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to wrap my head around the whole ArcGIS thing.  There seems to be 1001 products but I think my focus is going to be centered around a GIS web application using the ArcGIS Server.  In the past I have done Java web apps using the OpenLayers API for our mapping needs where I simply "imported" the OpenLayers javascript API and then used the API to render the maps and do other things.  Now, we will be using .Net so I will be using ASP.NET for the web application, but I have no idea what I need to do to have the ASP.NET web app use the ArcGIS server for our mapping needs.  Can anyone clue me in on what I need to look at and where I need to start?

Thanks for any thoughts - Peter
0 Kudos
2 Replies
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
Peter,

You may want to use the ArcGIS Server .Net API, as shown at http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgisserver/web-apis

Build applications with GIS capabilities using the .NET Web Application Developer Framework (.NET Web ADF). The .NET Web ADF is an AJAX-enabled framework for building Web applications built on ASP .Net AJAX. It includes both server-side and client-side controls and libraries. The client-side JavaScript framework is built on MS-AJAX.

Steve
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Peter,

I wouldn't recommend developing with .NET because the ArcGIS  Web ADF (Microsoft .NET Framework) has been deprecated.  See here.  I would suggest using another API such as JavaScript.
0 Kudos