Debugger for ArcGIS Java Script API 3.x

Jump to solution
04-17-2013 11:32 PM
SunilPalkar
Occasional Contributor
Hello All,

It might be very basic question..

I am working on ArcGIS Java Script API version 3.2/3.3 and using IDE as aptana & notepad++(Currently testing all applications on Firefox and using Firebug while testing). Getting several errors while using JSAPI so is there any recommended Debugger available for ArcGIS JSAPI ?

Going through resource link also so any help will be great !!

thanks in advance : )
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
I primarily use Firebug with Firefox but also use Chrome and IE when I come across errors. I don't know why but sometimes one debugger may expose more information about a JS error than the other two. There have been times when it was more help to use the debugger in IE than Firebug.

Of course, you SHOULD test your application in different browsers to ensure consistency and that everything works. One example that comes to mind is if your application works with dates. I had some date formatting code that worked fine in Firefox and IE but returned "undefined" in Chrome. The same will also apply to any CSS styling that you do (even more so if you alter the CSS properties using javascript).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Please post the errors your seeing.

Also, please use this site as your main resource for JS API content (API ref, samples, conceptual help and tutorials):  http://developers.arcgis.com/en/javascript/
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
I primarily use Firebug with Firefox but also use Chrome and IE when I come across errors. I don't know why but sometimes one debugger may expose more information about a JS error than the other two. There have been times when it was more help to use the debugger in IE than Firebug.

Of course, you SHOULD test your application in different browsers to ensure consistency and that everything works. One example that comes to mind is if your application works with dates. I had some date formatting code that worked fine in Firefox and IE but returned "undefined" in Chrome. The same will also apply to any CSS styling that you do (even more so if you alter the CSS properties using javascript).
0 Kudos
SunilPalkar
Occasional Contributor
Hello Thanks for the reply.

I am not getting an error right now but sometimes its difficult to debug errors in Firebug also..

so just want to know the standard or recommended  Debugger for ArcGIS JSAPI

ArcGIS API 3.3/3.4 really works for me (specially Geocoder widget its cool) and thanks to ArcGIS JSAPI  team : )

Please post the errors your seeing.

Also, please use this site as your main resource for JS API content (API ref, samples, conceptual help and tutorials):  http://developers.arcgis.com/en/javascript/
0 Kudos
SunilPalkar
Occasional Contributor
@Steve Thanks for your reply : )

0 Kudos