Filter Function Not Available?

04-17-2013 03:39 PM
KristinMeseck1
New Contributor II
Hello Everyone,

I am proficient in ArcGIS but have just started using ArcGIS Online. I uploaded a shapefile to ArcGIS Online that has a moderate amount of attribute data. I would like to enable some filters for users to search through this data but when I go to the menu for that layer (as described by the online help video) the 'Filter' option does not even exist along with 'Show item details' and 'Save item properties'. I have enabled editing on the layer but this did not change anything. I can display the table for the layer but the table itself is also missing the 'Filters' option. I would really appreciate any help or insight as to why this might be and how to fix it. Thanks!

-Kristin
Tags (2)
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, not all layer types support filtering. Only layers defined from map services, either hosted in ArcGIS Online or on ArcGIS Server. If you have a subscription to ArcGIS Online, you would instead add your shapefile as an item to your My Content, and publish it as a service too. Then add the hosted service to your map and you'll be able to filter it.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
KristinMeseck1
New Contributor II
Thanks so much for your answer Mike. There seem to be so many discrepancies between Arc desktop and online, it's really frustrating. I guess that's what happens when you go online, or maybe I should switch to a different platform. Thanks again for you help!
0 Kudos