BA 10.1 2012 Data Update error - file is too big for the destination directory

04-17-2013 12:22 PM
DavidJenkins
New Contributor III
Well this is not really an installation issue but rather an issue prior to installation.  The media is distributed as downloads in the form of 4 iso files.  The idea is to mount these as drives and copy the contents out into a single directory from which the installation happens.

Here is the problem (and solution) I encountered.  There's probably not many who will encounter this issue but just in case...

While copying the contents of ISO number 3 into a directory on a local drive I got an error that said something to the affect "..file is too big for the destination directory.."

I checked my drive space and had over 500GB free and even though the combination of ISO's produces a massive 30GB directory, I had more than enough room even though my computer insisted I did not.

The error occurred because the drive I was unpacking the ISO's onto was a FAT32 file system.  Unlike NTFS which has a maximum file size of roughly 16TB, the maximum singular file size of FAT32 is 4GB.  FAT16 has a maximum size of 2GB.  I ended up finding a different drive with enough space and had no problem with the transfer.

If anyone else has an issue with this, you have options.  I would first try to find out why you have a drive formatted as FAT32 to begin with.  NTFS is supported by most windows operating systems.  Many external hard drives are pre-formatted as FAT32.  There are utilities to convert these to NTFS without losing or damaging the data but please always back up your files first to be safe.

By the way, out of all the individual files provided by the ISO's there is only 1 file that exceeds the 4GB limit for FAT32.  It is Address_Points.lox at 5.5GB.  All of this could have been avoided by breaking this one file up into 2 separate files each below 4GB.

Good Luck,

Dave Jenkins
0 Kudos
0 Replies