Synchronize Edits Do Not Take in AGOL Feature Service

Jump to solution
04-16-2013 03:50 PM
MichaelBrown6
New Contributor
Hi,

I have a feature service, with full editing capabilities, deployed to a few web maps and Collector.  I can successfully edit all the features in the web maps and Collector, but cannot get my edits to take when synchronizing from ArcMap Desktop (Advanced).  I can check out a local copy, make the edits, and sync the edits back, but when I refresh the service in ArcMap, the edits are not there and are not showing up. 

Now, I believe I have performed this successfully in the past, but for some reason it has failed every time today.  Are there any specific settings on the feature service I need to tweak?  I have it set for full editing with disconnected sync.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi Mike,

There is a bug related to synchronizing local edits to hosted feature services with global IDs in ArcMap, NIM090614.

When you select the Enable Sync option in ArcGIS Online, it automatically adds Global IDs to the feature service to permit editing in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile.

If you are not using ArcGIS for Windows Mobile, try republishing your data ensuring that there are no Global IDs. Ensure that the Enable Sync is not selected for the feature service. Then try editing your data according to your previous workflow.

Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,

Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with how desktop supports getting a local copy. However, the "Enable Sync" option on a hosted feature services is only supported on ArcGIS for Windows Mobile at this time.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q000000n0000000

What I suspect should happen, is the collector should be writing new features back to the hosted feature service. Probably, if you push edits from desktop, they would also get reflected in the feature service (last edit in wins). However, I'm guessing that desktop doesn't get any new features. What happens if you create a new local copy for editing? Do you get the features? That's probably what you need to do. You might try posting in the ArcGIS Desktop forums too.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi Mike,

There is a bug related to synchronizing local edits to hosted feature services with global IDs in ArcMap, NIM090614.

When you select the Enable Sync option in ArcGIS Online, it automatically adds Global IDs to the feature service to permit editing in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile.

If you are not using ArcGIS for Windows Mobile, try republishing your data ensuring that there are no Global IDs. Ensure that the Enable Sync is not selected for the feature service. Then try editing your data according to your previous workflow.

Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,

Kelly
0 Kudos
MichaelBrown6
New Contributor
Hi Kelly,

It looks like that did the trick.  I re-posted my service with only the Enable Sync disabled and it worked.  One thing I did notice was that I need to have full editing capabilities enabled (Add, Delete, Update) for the Synchronize Edits to work.  If I just have the Update capability enabled the synchronization will fail.  Not a big deal, but something I have to switch on and off when I want to made edits to the data locally...can't have my field team accidentally deleting data on me 🙂

Thanks again for the help!

Mike
0 Kudos
PaulDoherty2
Occasional Contributor III

Kelly Gerrow

I know that this bug has been fixed for 10.3.1 - but now I am facing a similar issue to the one mentioned here.

Re: Synchronizing ArcMap Desktop edits back to AGOL

The geometry and most of the field update - but a date field, a string, and a string with domains just refuse to cooperate. On Desktop everything looks fine even after the sync but on AGOL the fields are empty. In addition, when I try manually copy and paste edits rather than append it tells that the data is not in the right date or string format even though they are.

It is probably a pretty obscure bug but it is driving me crazy, I am hoping you might have some insight. 

- Paul

0 Kudos