AnsweredAssumed Answered

adding layers in a standalone script

Question asked by jpedder on Apr 15, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 1, 2014 by jbarrette-esristaff
Has anyone successfully accomplished this? Seriously I???m not being sarcastic.

What I presumed to be a very simple task has me flummoxed. Simply adding a featureclass as a layer to an mxd.

All commands work perfectly when run in a geoprocessing python session, yet they fail when running in a standalone script. Is it maybe something in my environment settings? I???ve tried to cover them all here.

# Set enviroment arcpy.env.workspace arcpy.env.scratchGDB arcpy.env.scratchFolder

I???ve tried writing the layers to disk then reading them in, adding with AddLayer and AddtoGroup, insertLAyer etc. I can get a layer to add when pulling from disk yet it won???t display in the TOC (you can see it's there if I iterate the layers). I have RefreshTOC and RefrenceActiveView

Here???s a test script I???ve been playing with.

# Add layers to the map mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(r"C:\Users\mymap.mxd")  # List data frame and layers frame = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd,'Dataframe')[0] refFeatureLayer = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd,'*New_Layer*',frame)[0]  # create a new layer from an existing featureclass travel_route_1 = "Travel_Routes" tempLayer = arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(travel_route_1,'my test layer')  # Save layer to disk arcpy.SaveToLayerFile_management (tempLayer, r'C:\Users\test layer.lyr')  # List data frame and layers - just to refresh the list, shouldn't need to do this. frame = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd,'Dataframe')[0] refFeatureLayer = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd,'*test*',frame)[0]  # Get the layer addLayer = arcpy.mapping.Layer(r'C:\Users\test layer.lyr')  # Add the layer to the dataframe arcpy.mapping.AddLayer(frame, addLayer, "BOTTOM")  # List data frame and layers - just to refresh the list, shouldn't need to do this. frame = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd,'Dataframe')[0] refFeatureLayer = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd,'*test*',frame)[0]  # Finally move the layer movelayer = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd,'*my*',frame)[0] arcpy.mapping.MoveLayer(frame,refFeatureLayer,movelayer,"AFTER")  arcpy.RefreshTOC() arcpy.RefreshActiveView()

Outcomes