david.plume

Who knew that my Cisco VPN could crash Arc Server 10.1?

Discussion created by david.plume on Apr 12, 2013
Latest reply on May 21, 2013 by Justin_Rodriguez-esristaff
Hi Everyone,

I've recently installed Server Enterprise 10.1 on my Windows 7 machine and have had a heck of a time keeping the services running.

My installation went smoothly.  Once started I checked my permissions for the arcgis user and was able to start the Server Manager fine.

Things went downhill from there.  As soon as I begin interacting with the server I began to get messages like:

Failed to start the server machine...Required port 4000 already in use.

I checked that port using netstat -ao and found the port was in use ... by a process owned by the arcgis server user.

I tried starting and stopping the service but then found that subsequent tries at starting the server manager failed completely the site was not available.

I did find that rebooting would re-expose the site but subsequent interactions with the site would crash the services.

Finally I recalled having problems with our Cisco VPN crashing the my license manager a few months ago. Sure enough, I found that if I turned off my VPN the Server started to work -- well at least until this writing.  I've not fully exercised it but was able to publish an arcmap service.

I'm writing this partly for the record and to ask -- has anyone else out there had compatibility problems between your VPN (or similar) and server?

Thanks in advance
David

Outcomes